towing with factory bumper hitch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

schiccc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i have a 11 ram 1500 crew cab with hemi 2wd and has the facotry hitch assembley which is hidden thru the bank bumper.it looks like all u do is buy a ball and install into hitch thru rear bumper.my question is how uch is that hitch assembley good for it aslo has the 4 and 7 pin plugs too.i want to tow a 99 viper gts with it.is it safe?

OP
OP
S

schiccc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
it has a factory hitch bolted to the frame its just hidden.there is a hole thru top of bumper that goes directly into hitch assembley.so the bumper is not what the load is on.u just install a ball thru bumper into hitch.

OP
OP
S

schiccc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ok well thats what i needed to know.thanks

suzukiquadrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
2000 , 2004
Engine
cummins 5.9, 6.6 duramax
i would never tow a trailer with a bumper hitch.

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
if all your towing is lawn mowers you should be fine but with anything heavier no. There should be a weight rating on it listed

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The 'bumper' on the Gen IV Rams is a rated Class III hitch. You very well should be fine.

That being said, I bought a Curt Class IV which is an entire separate piece that bolts under it all. Big Beefy unit rated at more than the truck is. Perfect!
Curt_2.jpg

garner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you talking about the hole in the back bumper? Like this?
IMG_0467.jpg

If so, it's rated at 5,000 pounds

Mad Cow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Just a heads up I would buy a hitch if you plan on towing alot. I let my Father-in-law borrow my 99 sport to pick up a new lawnmower on a hitch and when he put the ball in my bumper he never put the nut on the bottom and when he went to drive the lawn mower on the trailer it pulled the ball up out of the bumper and drugg up my tailgate and ruined it. Then he went to back the trailer up at his house, turned to sharp and took two chunks out of my bumper.

I will never again let people borrow my truck, or tow with just a ball in the bumper.

You can get a class IV hitch installed for $250 up here.

OP
OP
S

schiccc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
thanks for the replies but i wasnt saying i was just going to throw a ball on my bumper and tow a car wth it.it has a class 3 hitch that is hidden thru the rear bumper like the above pic.today i saw were it said its rated to 5k so it would be close anyways.