Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums > Dodge Ram Generations Forum > 4th Gen : 2009 - Present > Towing & Hauling

Towing & Hauling

Towing and hauling capacity question.

This is a discussion on Towing and hauling capacity question. within the Towing & Hauling forums, part of the 4th Gen : 2009 - Present category!
I suspect the BFGs will be fine. But I don't use AT tires as my truck isn't used off road. ...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2017, 02:08 AM   #11 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2014
Engine: ED
I suspect the BFGs will be fine. But I don't use AT tires as my truck isn't used off road.

When using my post as an example just get that the 2nd & 3rd paragraphs are required to make the first paragraph work.

Sponsored Ad
Register to remove this ad.
VernDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:06 AM   #12 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2017
Engine: 6.4 HEMI
Don't forget to add the tongue weight of the trailer into your payload. I don't know what the specs on your truck are but, my 2015 CC, SB 5.7 had a payload of 1450 and a towing capacity of 8k lbs. With the weights you were talking, a 10% tongue weight, people and gear, I'd been over my payload. I would transfer as much as I could to the trailer since it only weighs 2900lbs.

I use this http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/towing_guide/ alot. Over on the right side, there is a box labeled" Look up my Vehicle where you can enter your VIN.

Last edited by Sandbox; 01-05-2017 at 10:22 AM.
Sandbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 02:35 PM   #13 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2014
Engine: Hemi 6.4
Originally Posted by GsRAM View Post
I personally would not put the mc on the rear of the trailer even if it can handle the weight. You need to have sufficient tongue weight or you well increase the likelihood of trailer sway and you don't want that.
This is worth repeating. Hanging a motorcycle off the back of the TT will likely lighten your tongue weight to a dangerous level. The whole tongue weight - payload thing is tough because you want the least tongue weight to stay within payload spec but the most to ensure for more stable towing (heavy tongue weight is among the reasons 5th wheels tow so much better than TTs for example).

Also, the standard bumpers on TTs could not come close to holding the weight of a motorcycle. I'm afraid to put a bicycle rack on mine.

As others have said you are close with what you list. Airbags are helpful and really make sure you have good tires that are inflated properly.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 06:30 AM   #14 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine: Hemi, 6.4L
Originally Posted by mtofell View Post
This is worth repeating. Hanging a motorcycle off the back of the TT will likely lighten your tongue weight to a dangerous level. The whole tongue weight - payload thing is tough because you want the least tongue weight to stay within payload spec but the most to ensure for more stable towing (heavy tongue weight is among the reasons 5th wheels tow so much better than TTs for example).

Also, the standard bumpers on TTs could not come close to holding the weight of a motorcycle. I'm afraid to put a bicycle rack on mine.

As others have said you are close with what you list. Airbags are helpful and really make sure you have good tires that are inflated properly.
100% correct. I mentioned the TT bumper issue in my post as well. My TT has a spare tire mount on it, and I'd not want to put much more on it except a few bicycles or so and I would not even want to do that. Go ahead and stand on the corner of your trailer bumper sometime and watch how much that bumper flexes and the rear frame flexes and you'll see what I mean. Most (not all) trailers are just not designed to carry much weight on the rear of the frame and bumper. Add to that the bouncing and jauncing that goes on when your going down the road with the weight of even a dirtbike back there and I could envision bad things happening.

Again, just my .02

- John 3:16
GsRAM is offline   Reply With Quote