Towing heavy fifth wheel with manual tranny

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 CC 4x4 Longhorn Offroad
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have someone buying my 2500 6.4 tomorrow and am going to look at a 2014 SLT crew cab 4x4 8' bed. 6.7 Cummins 6 speed manual. I plan on towing my 38' fifth wheel with it. The fifth wheel has 3000lb pin weight and an empty weight oh 13,000lbs. Anyone else towing with the Cummins with manual tranny?

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The biggest bummer about the manual tranny is the de-rating of the engine since that tranny is only rated for so much. I believe you get something like 660 torque with the manual and 800 with basic auto or 900 with the Aisin.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I don't think, don't know first hand but from reading the Cummins forums, the torque management is reduced with the manual so you may not really see much difference.

mesotall13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I tow heavy with my 16 cummins manual. On stock sized tires it did great. Now that I'm on 35's at freeway speed I have to downshift to 5th when climbing serious grades. Just always start in 1st gear when loaded and it does fine. The best thing I have added to my truck was the bd throttle sensitivity booster!!! Every time I shift it took forever to respool the turbo. Now it spools a lot faster after each shift!

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
The biggest bummer about the manual tranny is the de-rating of the engine since that tranny is only rated for so much. I believe you get something like 660 torque with the manual and 800 with basic auto or 900 with the Aisin.

can I as WHY in the world they would make the manual transmission less capable (towing wise) than the auto? is it just an old design and the low demand keeps them from funding the making of a more capable one?

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
can I as WHY in the world they would make the manual transmission less capable (towing wise) than the auto? is it just an old design and the low demand keeps them from funding the making of a more capable one?

From what I've read on the Cummins forums, the driveline weakness is the clutch. Guys that have tuned their engine with manual transmissions had to go with an aftermarket clutch, with success.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
From what I've read on the Cummins forums, the driveline weakness is the clutch. Guys that have tuned their engine with manual transmissions had to go with an aftermarket clutch, with success.

thanks for the info.

LOL if the clutch is the only reason that RAM de-rates the trucks with a manual transmission, than RAM is dropping the ball BIG TIME on this one. I understand that clutches are expensive but seriously...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye