Towing maxed out.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Wouldn't it be cheaper to retune the transmission?

Thats not going to help the fact the transmission is geared to high, with the trans thats in the truck it needs 4:30 gears in it.
If you think it pulls good now I bet you would be shocked at the difference.
I had a 02 2500 HD that was like this and even with 4:10 gears the truck was way over geared for pulling, I was going to put lower gears in it but gas went to $4.00 a gallon so I traded it off for something easier on fuel.

rontimmer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
How is the gap between 1st and 2nd? Towing heavy with my 3.73 gears that is really the only annoyance. Either wind it out in 1st or let it fall into 2nd and likely slam back into 1st in 5-10 seconds. I'm thinking of a re-gear and am trying to decide what ratio to go with. I'll definitely go past the 4.10s, looking at either 4.30 or 4.56. I'm hoping the different gears tighten up that gap enough. Also, right now all my power is in 2nd at 50-60mph or so. Hoping with the new gears to have better pulling in 2nd in the 40-50mph range. My 5th wheel is 11K loaded.

I spend most of my time on generally level ground bouncing between 4th and 5th running between 60 and 65 MPH. On most hills I will have to down shift to 3rd to pull up with minimal problems dropping to 55 at the lowest( if I don't manually down shift it will drop into 2nd and rev up to about 4000 RPM and take off, lots of power). If it is a very steep hill I will have to drop down to 2nd but I will start immediately picking up speed again. As of yet I have not had it pull down into 1st. I'm towing around southern Arizona so I am fighting some decent hills but I haven't had it up into true mountains yet.