Towing with new Ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlitzBound

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I have a 2013 RAM 1500 Hemi QC Big Horn- replaced 2007 RAM Hemi... I tow a boat trailer appr 10k miles per year (appr 3500 lbs).
Maybe this will sound crazy to you guys, but I think the 2007 felt better when towing... I know my new truck has more power, softer ride, etc... but this 6 speed transmission seems to "hunt" for gears too much, even in tow mode. Long and short- it seems it spends too much time in a higher gear when I need the torque.
I read a couple if posts about switching to manual and take 5th out of equation- not sure how to do this?
Oh, and one more thing.. These stock tires blow- you can actually feel the truck sway when going around corner at speed.. Sucks that you buy a 40k truck and then have to start saving for new tires!
With that said, I still love the truck.
Any advise on towing would be much appreciated. Thanks!

h2oman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Agree with the tires. Mine came off immediately for E rated. Fixed that right up. On occasion when pulling a long grade I will downshift manually. I just haven't felt it to be an issue.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BlitzBound

BlitzBound

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
H20.. Yea, I guess it's not an issue".. Could be I just need to get used to the new rig?
What tires did you go with?

h2oman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
BFG Rugged Terrain. 275 65 20. They work great but I wish they looked a little more aggressive.

OP
OP
BlitzBound

BlitzBound

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
3.92 gears.. Got to be me- sure I will get used to it...

mtday

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
That was why I upgraded to a Cummins powered Ram. I had a 2011 2500 Hemi, and pull a 6k enclosed trailer daily, with ladders and planks on top it's not too aerodynamic.

Granted your transmission is a little different than the 2011 I had (545rfe), but I had to put it in tow haul mode, locking out second overdrive, and frequently had to use ERS (the up/down buttons on your shifter) to lock out tow haul's 5th gear. This was just to maintain 55-60mph on relatively flat freeways.

Try playing around with standard or tow haul mode, and using ERS for locking out your top gear or two. With only 3500# behind the truck you should be able to find a happy medium.

S2kiHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
3.92 gears.. Got to be me- sure I will get used to it...

With 3.92 gears it should be towing 3500lbs with no problem. Ive towed 4000-5000lbs with my 09 with 3.21 gears and it doesnt hunt that much at freeway speeds.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Have you completed the proper break-in prior to towing per the owners manual ??

HonuTime

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I tow 8000# with 3.92 2012 1500 and don't have any problems with hunting for gears in tow haul mode. It will shift on grades and gradual inclines but that is normal. Just completed a 300 mile round trip towing and it felt great. Avg 10 MPG, woot! ;)

garner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Interesting. Pretty much everything is the same as your 07(same factory tires, same transmission minus a little tuning)

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I haven't towed that much yet, but I didn't notice any hunting?
the tires DO blow though. I feel sway with an empty truck when it's windy; give me a break!
Goodyear= :Moon:

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Most stock tires blow chunks. Unless you're buying an ultimate car, it's where most manufacturers cut cost. God knows the SRA's that they put on many of the new RAMS aren't great tires. They're OK, but not great.

Noved

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am sure it is something to get used to I towed an explorer on my flatbed weighing in at 7k pounds and it rode very well. The ride was very smooth and it had gobs and gobs of power. The stock tires are lame yes but I make due because I put a good deal of money down when I purchased the truck and I have to wait to buy tires lol. I have not encountered the sway as mentioned or hunting of gears. I have the 3.92s. My new 1500 is one of the best trucks I have had if not the best.

OP
OP
BlitzBound

BlitzBound

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
1 month and 1200 towing miles after initial post... The truck tows like a beast, transmission appears strong and stock tires still suck!

Jeepkid

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Dodge Ram 1500 TRX 4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have duratracs on mine and they tow amazing!

dsent

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 2500HD 4x4 Crew Cab Laramie
Engine
6.7 cummins diesel
I negotiated the price of my truck first.

My truck was on the lot with BF Goodrich Rugged Trails.

Then I told the dealer those would have to go because my truck is a road warrior not off road use.

I told him I want Michelin M/S II which is a 70k load range E.

He said ok if that would seal the deal.

I informed him a set of tires was 5 not 4.

He was some what taken back, I explained I need the spare to match could not be a different brand or rated tire so it could be used in tire rotation.

He agreed and order the tires.

They called me when they came in.

I went to the dealer, they mounted the tires.

A couple days later I was washing my truck and noticed that the tires were not LTX and the proper load range.

I called the dealer and told them they were not correct for my truck and the TPM was not happy and was throwing codes.

The parts guy ordered the wrong tires,we kind of had a laugh they order the correct ones and installed them.

I have a good dealer, they are tuner friendly(to come),when I got my amp power steps I sold them my oem Step/Nerf bars I took off.

Regards
Don

Birddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bright White 3500 Laramie 4X4 Long Bed
Engine
6.7 Cummins TD, 3.73
When I had my 2012 1500 I pulled over 1ok pounds with no trouble except for sway but that had to do with the overweight trailer tongue. In or out of tow hall mode it pulled like a beast with factory 20'' chrome clad set. I never had a problem looking for gears. I had the same set up you have. A QC with 3.92 gears. That should pull 10,250 according to manufacture safety ratings which means it can pull more but don't do it.
Your older truck felt more solid because you had leaf Springs. Your new truck has a multi link suspension and that's why it rides so nice. If you need to stiffen it up for a better tow, maybe you should look into air bags. I've been looking myself and I found that Firestone sells some and another brand called the air lift 1000. Check into that.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
BlitzBound

BlitzBound

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Thanks guys... I think I just had to get used to new truck- all good... In fact, is great- love towing with it!