Towing tips

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

garner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok so in July or August I'm gonna be moving to my own apartment/house to go to a university and had some questions about towing since it will be my first time towing anything for long distances. In the trailer will be 2 beds(400 poundsX2), armoire(1,000 pounds), 2 nighstands(100 poundsx2), a couch(150 pounds), a loveseat(100 pounds), coffee table and 2 end tables(150 pounds), a dining room table and 4 chairs(150 pounds), a computer desk(100 pounds), and whatever a 55" lcd and 37" lcd weigh. So a weight of around 2,900 pounds plus the trailer and then I will have clothes, my laptop, and my other computer in the truck(about 100 pounds if that). Trip will be anywhere from about 130 miles to 400 miles(haven't decided on a university yet as I'm still waiting on acceptance letters and then financial aid info). I have the tow package, trailer brake controller, and trailer sway control, and tow/haul already on the truck and will have tow mirrors in the next month. There will be hills on any of the trips.

Anything else I need to add to the truck?
Any tips on driving methods?
What size trailer will have the most stability?

Musclemckeester

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Your truck should be set up just fine for that.

As far as driving tips, I've only towed once and that was a boat. All I can say is leave lots of room for extra stopping distance. The truck won't stop near as quick as you're used to with a trailer back there.

GhostRam94

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Dual axle is the best but with that weight you will be fine with a single.
Drive like a gramps and don't get in any kind of hurry, just pick a lane a stay there. I know with my boat I don't even have a choice to move because I have no idea how is arou d me 1/2 the time

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
and watch your turns.

Are you going to be backing up anywhere? If so, you better practice first!

iSlacker816

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 (360ci) Magnum
Backing a trailer: To go right - turn the wheel left. To go left - turn the wheel right while backing up. Practice is the only advice I can give ya lol

Musclemckeester

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
When backing...just think the opposite of what would make sense. That's how I learned how to back a trailer...do what seems unnatural. haha

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I've done quite a bit of towing, both hauling vehicles around the NW USA, and recreationally..

It sounds like your truck is setup for towing, although I'm not familiar with how the 4 coil suspension has been handling trailers... I know with rear leafs, that wouldn't be much of an issue at all.

As MM said, leave yourself LOTS of extra space ahead of you, and know what type of breaking system your trailer has..

1) Electric - Requires a controller in the cab, but allows you to control the brakes if you need to independently of your truck brakes.
2) Surge - Requires no additional hardware, but under hard braking, will compress brake fluid into the trailer brakes, slowing the trailer.

Other than taking corners wide, and understanding you are longer so things behave differently... you should be gtg..

Anything else I need to add to the truck? - Nope - Mirrors / hitch towbar / brake controller, your good. Depending on the weight of the trailer, you may look at a Weight Distributing hitch. For a 1 time trip, its probably not worth it.
Any tips on driving methods? See above
What size trailer will have the most stability? - Longer trailers will tow better, but there's no point getting a longer trailer than you need. Even my 20ft travel trailer tends to 'wag' behind my 3500 under varying wind conditions...

Enjoy the move!

OP
OP
garner

garner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Your truck should be set up just fine for that.

As far as driving tips, I've only towed once and that was a boat. All I can say is leave lots of room for extra stopping distance. The truck won't stop near as quick as you're used to with a trailer back there.

Good to know! So about 1/4 mile or more?

Dual axle is the best but with that weight you will be fine with a single.
Drive like a gramps and don't get in any kind of hurry, just pick a lane a stay there. I know with my boat I don't even have a choice to move because I have no idea how is arou d me 1/2 the time

Alright I'll try to get a dual axle if I can. And I don't like driving like a gramps :( lol. Do you have the tow mirrors on your truck?

What gears does your truck have?

3.55 with lsd

and watch your turns.

Are you going to be backing up anywhere? If so, you better practice first!

Like swing wide like an 18 wheeler? And I might be so guess I better pick up a trailer a couple days before the move. Backing up is not one of my strong suits though especially without backup sensors or camera lol

Haha yeah because you don't want to look like a rookie in front of all your new friends:D

Lol I doubt many college students will be wherever I live. Probably mostly adults

GhostRam94

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Haha still bud don't want to look like a fool and yeah got the tow mirrors all flopped out:D my boat is flipping huge and if it's not that big no need to sway out big time just not no tight corners and just give yourself some extra room when turning. Doesn't sound like your gonna get tha big of a trailer

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
yeah swing wide............if not you'll be poppin' curbs in no time.

Backing up - use your mirrors......all this fancy **** like cameras don't mean jack when theres a trailer back there.

S2kiHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I wouldn't worry about spending $$ on tow mirrors. The mirrors on the 4th gens are plenty big.

infernoredram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
At every stop, see you how fast you can do 0-60... Jk lol

You staying here in TX?

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I wouldn't worry about spending $$ on tow mirrors. The mirrors on the 4th gens are plenty big.

Your going to have to help me out on this...

Are you suggesting 4th Gen non-tow mirrors are sufficient to see around an enclosed trailer behind a truck?

11953-Clip-On_Towing-Mirror.jpg

In the picture above, it shows very well what a driver would see in a non-tow OEM mirror... without any extension/etc, that's a very dangerous way to tow a trailer, especially for a new trailer tugger.

You are going to want trailer mirrors... it will make your trip less stressful, and safer.. besides, if you side swipe someone because you change lanes into them, your USCWP if you aren't properly setup.

OP
OP
garner

garner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Backing a trailer: To go right - turn the wheel left. To go left - turn the wheel right while backing up. Practice is the only advice I can give ya lol

When backing...just think the opposite of what would make sense. That's how I learned how to back a trailer...do what seems unnatural. haha

Good to know! That's gonna be awkward though

I've done quite a bit of towing, both hauling vehicles around the NW USA, and recreationally..

It sounds like your truck is setup for towing, although I'm not familiar with how the 4 coil suspension has been handling trailers... I know with rear leafs, that wouldn't be much of an issue at all.

As MM said, leave yourself LOTS of extra space ahead of you, and know what type of breaking system your trailer has..

1) Electric - Requires a controller in the cab, but allows you to control the brakes if you need to independently of your truck brakes.
2) Surge - Requires no additional hardware, but under hard braking, will compress brake fluid into the trailer brakes, slowing the trailer.

Other than taking corners wide, and understanding you are longer so things behave differently... you should be gtg..

Anything else I need to add to the truck? - Nope - Mirrors / hitch towbar / brake controller, your good. Depending on the weight of the trailer, you may look at a Weight Distributing hitch. For a 1 time trip, its probably not worth it.
Any tips on driving methods? See above
What size trailer will have the most stability? - Longer trailers will tow better, but there's no point getting a longer trailer than you need. Even my 20ft travel trailer tends to 'wag' behind my 3500 under varying wind conditions...

Enjoy the move!

I think only issue I'll have with the coils may be sagging. Which type of brakes should I look for? Is one better than the other? Good to know on the driving tips. I might look into the weight distributing hitch just in case. So any trailer size that fits my stuff should be fine? Thanks!

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
If you have a brake controller, get electric... Make sure you do a brake test before you leave the rental yard (assuming rental)... roll ahead under idle power, and apply the brakes using the controller... you should feel the trailer slow you down, but not lock up.

As long as its rated for the weight you are putting in it, yes, any length that holds your cargo will work. If you are scratching your head between two, get the longer one... its always better to have too much room, rather than not enough..

On that note, IIRC its a 60/40 split between front/back loading weight wise... you do NOT want to have the trailer axx heavy... You want weight on the nose of the trailer for it to handle properly.

On the WD hitch.. I just re-read your cargo list... 3000 lbs + trailer, don't worry about the WD.. its not needed.

Last edited:

fla crkr 1 ton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 [360]
When you load trailer try to keep most of the heavy stuff over the [trailer] axles too much tongue weight or too little causes the trailer to sway at speed,also when traveling on the highway or roads where speeds are above 45 mph be prepaired to be [blown out then sucked in] as semis and larger vehicles pass,when they come up behind in the other lane the draft they are creating blows you away from them as they pass you your sucked into their draft [you'll understand when it happens, scary the first time] i have hauled oversized boats all over the U.S. with my one ton and i have become accustomed to riding on the edge of the white line on the slow lane when big trucks come up i go towards the line and prepair to be pulled in as they pass, thats the only scary part of towing anything but you get used to it. Backing up is an art takes practice to be able to do it correctly just remember the trailers ass goes opposite of the trucks ass when backing up take your time and you'll be fine. Just like everything else in life common sence is key. Most of the u haul trailers have surge brakes not electric, but it has been a while since i used one if you get electric brakes review your owners manual to how to set up your controller so the brakes don't grab.

Last edited:
OP
OP
garner

garner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Haha still bud don't want to look like a fool and yeah got the tow mirrors all flopped out:D my boat is flipping huge and if it's not that big no need to sway out big time just not no tight corners and just give yourself some extra room when turning. Doesn't sound like your gonna get tha big of a trailer

Haha very true! And yeah your boat is probably a good bit wider than an enclosed trailer will be

yeah swing wide............if not you'll be poppin' curbs in no time.

Backing up - use your mirrors......all this fancy **** like cameras don't mean jack when theres a trailer back there.

Hopefully I don't have any tight turns. And crap I hope everywhere I go has good insurance lol. Sounds like I gotta bring somebody with me to make sure I don't hit anything backing up

Tow mirrors have been on the mod list for a while. Not just cause this trip

At every stop, see you how fast you can do 0-60... Jk lol

You staying here in TX?

I'm gonna guess 20 seconds ;) lol. And yeah staying here. Corpus Christi, Dallas, Arlington, Wichita Falls, Tyler, San Antonio, Commerce, or Lubbock

Your going to have to help me out on this...

Are you suggesting 4th Gen non-tow mirrors are sufficient to see around an enclosed trailer behind a truck?

11953-Clip-On_Towing-Mirror.jpg

In the picture above, it shows very well what a driver would see in a non-tow OEM mirror... without any extension/etc, that's a very dangerous way to tow a trailer, especially for a new trailer tugger.

You are going to want trailer mirrors... it will make your trip less stressful, and safer.. besides, if you side swipe someone because you change lanes into them, your USCWP if you aren't properly setup.

Wow that's a big difference in views

suzukiquadrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
2000 , 2004
Engine
cummins 5.9, 6.6 duramax
I tow a lot, it is the reason i have a truck, i pull a 14 by 7 foot single axel steel enclosed trailer with 2 4 wheelers in it and 1 in the bed of my truck. I have no weight distributing hitch, i have no tow mirrors, and i recently pulled 600 mile round trip just fine. Backing up requires a lot of practice and once you get used to it it's fine. Pulling a tandem trailer is a lot easier imo.