Towing a Trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ram15002013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just wanted to ask a question, with the 4th Gen do i require a brake controller to pull a trailer or can i pull without. I have been told i don't need one and that it is all setup in through the truck. Please help!

earlzach

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If your ram has the brake controler built in then you will find it on the dash just abouve your left knee. You wont miss it. If the controler is not there then you can add a factory mount controler and have the flash upload to activate it. Look the controlers up on ebay under " Ram Trailer Brake Controler" or IBCM (Interigated Brake Controler Module) I think?.
2013 Dodge RAM Integrated Trailer Brake Module Controller | eBay

granite14

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500, 4x4, CC, SLT Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 6.4
What do you mean by "pull without"... How heavy is the trailer?

If you don't have one from the factory, or add a factory one, you can still add an aftermarket via wiring harness video of installing to the harness

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Depends if the trailer has electric brakes or not and you want to use them.

Ocelot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You can tow any trailer without a brake controller, but it wouldn't be smart with a heavy trailer. I don't know if it depends on the state, but here it's against the law not to have brakes on a trailer over 2000 lbs.

If you have the 7-pin trailer connector on the back of the truck, adding a brake controller is super simple for aftermarket and pretty easy for OEM factory controllers.

For after market controllers like the very popular prodigy controllers, you just mount it under the dash and plug it in with a RAM adapter cable and your done. That's it, no splicing at all. Prodigy is the most highly recommended controllers over on the RV sites.

For the OEM controller, you also just plug it in, but you have to have the dealer flash the computer for a price and have to take part of the dash apart to mount it where it goes.

Ray

haybale

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If your ram has the brake controler built in then you will find it on the dash just abouve your left knee.

Left knee? The factory controller on my '13 is on the right. Immediately left of the "switch" panel (tow/haul, traction control, etc.)

Maybe the location depends on what trim you have. Mine is an express.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If the trailer you are planning to pull has electric brakes, you need a brake controller to have the trucks brakes and trailer brakes work together.
On 09-12 the factory controller fit into a pocket by the left knee. On 13+ it is up by the shifter knob to the right of the wheel.

earlzach

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Left knee? The factory controller on my '13 is on the right. Immediately left of the "switch" panel (tow/haul, traction control, etc.)

Maybe the location depends on what trim you have. Mine is an express.

Maybe 2013 was a transition year. It could be build date specific. Late 13 on console earl 13s on left?