Towing a travel trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I want the truth man. Do I need a bigger truck or should I add 392 gears and lift it? Ok I take a pic.
Need more truck.

I'd hit the scales loaded up and ready to camp so you know your weights and can do the math to see if any Ram 1500 has the GVWR to do what you are asking. That's a lot of camper for most 1/2t, especially RAM.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

thrashie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Laramie
Engine
6.7l cummins turbo diesel
You nailed it that's all correct. I might just trade it for quad cab and 4 wd. When I bought the truck I was not planning on towing much. I guess plans changed.

4wd=less towing capacity (it adds weight to the truck)

I was in a similar boat yer in, except my TT is 35' long...on my '13 1500 Laramie, I did airbags, then did a 4:10 gear ratio...sure they stiffened up the rear end and made it "easier" to pull, but I was still dealing with the overall weight...and it seemed more like the TT was in command going down the road vs the TV. didn't help the fact that by the time the TT was attached to the truck, and I jumped in it....I was probably overweight..

Then I got the 2500 CTD once reality hit me on what I actually needed and the first tow proved that. no more inner freak outs while going down the road. :D

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I'm confused - isn't it the other way around? The higher the axle gearing number the greater the torque multiplier?
Like sandbox stated, and even how you have stated the higher the axle ratio number(3.92), the lower the gearing and the greater torque multiplication.
The lower the rear axle ratio number(3.21) is taller gearing and lower torque multiplication.

2015HD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Grey Dodge, nice TT. I feel your pain, did the same thing last year, bought a 2014 Silverado 1500 (rated to pull 9100lbs), next month bought a 6K TT. Once we loaded the TT and all our gear in the bed it was a nightmare to drive. A few months later I traded for my RAM 2500 and took a total bath. To be honest, with that TT you have I'd go 6.4 or Cummins. It's nice sitting at your camp site not dreading the tow home while you're there :happy107: