Trailer Brake Disconnected Warning Light -- What does this mean?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TxCowboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
NONE
Hooked up a small tag along travel trailer just to move it around. I received this RED warning on the DIC -- Trailer Brake Disconnected Warning Light.

What does this mean? Is my brake controller not working? Maybe something wrong with the 7 pin connector? What?

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Hooked up a small tag along travel trailer just to move it around. I received this RED warning on the DIC -- Trailer Brake Disconnected Warning Light.

What does this mean? Is my brake controller not working? Maybe something wrong with the 7 pin connector? What?

Either the brakes on the trailer are not working, or the connector on the trailer is bad. Probably a ground on the trailer is bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

TxCowboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
NONE
Would low battery have an impact on this warning light? I did note that the interior LED lights inside the trailer did not come on, e.g., low battery charge.

If the break away switch is activated, the emergency trailer brakes would be activated via battery power on the trailer. Maybe this tripped the warning light? Does the 7 pin connector have the ability to check the battery state on your trailer (assuming the trailer you are towing has a battery installed...)?

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Would low battery have an impact on this warning light? I did note that the interior LED lights inside the trailer did not come on, e.g., low battery charge.

If the break away switch is activated, the emergency trailer brakes would be activated via battery power on the trailer. Maybe this tripped the warning light? Does the 7 pin connector have the ability to check the battery state on your trailer (assuming the trailer you are towing has a battery installed...)?

No, you just have a 12v dedicated power in the 7 pin going to the trailer for that battery and the main battery. That warning light is checking the circuit that should be completed for the trucks brake controller to activate the trailer brakes

I would check grounds on the brakes and wires in the connector on the trailer.

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L

Shouldn't cause the problem you're describing, but a dead battery means no brakes if you lose the umbilical in a breakaway event.

photonburst

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Like AFM said, cleaning the plug pins and a dab of dialectric grease helped my brake warnings.