Trailer Break Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TBarton

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey guys just bought a 2015 ram 1500 big horn, also just got a 20ft tilt trailer with two 3500lb axles, trailer pulled fine on the way home i only plan to pull my side by side and a couple four wheelers so not a whole lot of weight but i wanna get the trailer brake set up.

What do you guys suggest for a break controller, just did a quick search on ebay and found a bunch of oem style from $180 to $250, just woundering if you guys had any tips of where to put it and how much of a pain it is.
Thanks guys

After reading some more i see that you need an oem flash, maybe ill stop by the dealer tommarrow and see what i can work out.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
This is were the oem one goes. It's easy to install all the wiring is there for it. After it is installed you will have to take it to the dealer so they can flash you truck to recognize it.

It's a awesome feature you can access it In the dash to adjust the gain, and in the stereo under settings it will give you the option to set up heavy electric, light electric, and you can save up to 4 trailer settings so if you have more than one trailer you can just select that one. It works great! Love mine.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 185

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
This is were the oem one goes. It's easy to install all the wiring is there for it. After it is installed you will have to take it to the dealer so they can flash you truck to recognize it.

It's a awesome feature you can access it In the dash to adjust the gain, and in the stereo under settings it will give you the option to set up heavy electric, light electric, and you can save up to 4 trailer settings so if you have more than one trailer you can just select that one. It works great! Love mine.

Go MOPAR part! integrates perfectly. Install is a little tedious but simple overall.

Hey 14Hemiexpress, how long did the flash take? I finally got around to installing mine and haven't had time to stop by the dealer due to work. I'm hoping that it's a lunch hour trip not a 3 hour drop off your truck type trip. meanwhile, I'm having major anxiety issues of letting the dealership service dept touch my truck :Big Laugh:

PS. sorry about the semi - thread jack.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Go MOPAR part! integrates perfectly. Install is a little tedious but simple overall.

Hey 14Hemiexpress, how long did the flash take? I finally got around to installing mine and haven't had time to stop by the dealer due to work. I'm hoping that it's a lunch hour trip not a 3 hour drop off your truck type trip. meanwhile, I'm having major anxiety issues of letting the dealership service dept touch my truck :Big Laugh:

PS. sorry about the semi - thread jack.

My truck came with the trailer brake from the factory I would imagine it would take less than a hour it's a simple/common flash. Call your dealer and see if you can get a appointment for the flash so you don't have to wait as long.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
just stopped by my local dealer. they want $130 for the computer flash. Plus they say about a 4 hour job?!!! and worst of all, the disclaimer, if something happens during that 4 hrs, the entire computer will need to be replaced and we'll have your truck for days while we wait for the new computer to come in. Atleast they were thorough about the warnings.

I might check a few other dealers to see if I can atleast save a few more bucks and may be get a few other quotes on the time.

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
just stopped by my local dealer. they want $130 for the computer flash. Plus they say about a 4 hour job?!!! and worst of all, the disclaimer, if something happens during that 4 hrs, the entire computer will need to be replaced and we'll have your truck for days while we wait for the new computer to come in. Atleast they were thorough about the warnings.

I might check a few other dealers to see if I can atleast save a few more bucks and may be get a few other quotes on the time.

If you count the time it takes to pull the truck in and out and hook ups the tool, it takes about an hour to do. 130 would be a littl high for labor rate around where I am.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
that sounds more reasonable. I'll definitely check a few other dealers.

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
mine took an hour for them to install and flash. cost me about $450 total

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
my install is all done so just need the flash. The more I think about it, the more I believe the dealer just doesn't want to deal with It. They're the same ones that on the sales side, very arrogant and pretty much told me to take my cash elsewhere if I didn't want to pay their price.

I called the dealer I bought my truck from, and yes, they only take about an hour and it's a walk in service. Only thing is they are a bit far from home. Still, heading out this Saturday to get flashed. my truck that is...

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
my install is all done so just need the flash. The more I think about it, the more I believe the dealer just doesn't want to deal with It. They're the same ones that on the sales side, very arrogant and pretty much told me to take my cash elsewhere if I didn't want to pay their price.

I called the dealer I bought my truck from, and yes, they only take about an hour and it's a walk in service. Only thing is they are a bit far from home. Still, heading out this Saturday to get flashed. my truck that is...

don't even bother with dealers like that. i'd rather travel further to get better service then put up with that ****

Ramtop

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
6.4L

At those prices and how long they say it will take, you can almost guarantee that they will ruin the computer and make you spend more money. I would not walk away from that dealership, I would drive away just as fast and far as my RAM was capable of going.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
well, I think $130 is the going rate around here. just about ever ram dealer within an hour driving distance wants that. I guess that's the price you pay for wanting it integrated rather than mounted aftermarket on the dash. So I ended up flashing my truck this morning. took and hour. they washed and vacuumed it too. then I got in a quick test drive and pulled my trailer around in my field. works great! the clean from the wash and vacuum didn't last long though.

twodogs603

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can someone post the part number for the integrated brake controller.

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's not a flash. It's a change in the options that the vehicle is equipped with in the Chrysler system. Likely only a dealer thing.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
To knowledge is anyone else capable of doing the flash?

I beleieve any one with a star computer can do it... But the only people that would know were to start would be a chrysler tech.

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I beleieve any one with a star computer can do it... But the only people that would know were to start would be a chrysler tech.

It's a little more than that. You log into the Chrysler website. Change the vehicle options in the system. Then use the scan tool to upload the vehicle options from the Chrysler system to the truck.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
and the website log on is not available to everyone even at the dealer. I had to make an appointment only when the service manager was there. No one else has the authority to do the update. Atleast that's how it was at my dealer.

twodogs603

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

My dealer quoted me $84.95 to flash the computer.