Trailer Lights Not Working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattyk2188

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4L
I purchased a relatively affordable used utility trailer yesterday evening & my trailer lights don't seem to be working. The seller claimed they worked last Sunday when they used it on a trip, I told him not to worry because I suspected an issue earlier. Quite a few months ago I noticed my tailgate bar started to flicker & then one day it didn't work. I suspected the issue was with the cheap $10 eBay tailgate bar that was the issue, perhaps moisture or poor build. Now I suspect something is wrong with the truck's wiring. I checked the fuses, they're all good. I checked to hookups for the 7 pin & they're all good. I haven't taken a meter to it yet as I don't have one. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

My truck is 2009 1500 Sport CC, if that would make a difference, stock tow package.

jljbtm

Reaction score
I would check your ground connections, you need a good ground connection between the truck and trailer also. Don't rely on the hitch for a good ground.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

SHOOT2KILL

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015...2500H.D.
Engine
Most AutoZone stores will test your 7 pin connector on the truck for FREE.....

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Check the connection on the backside of your 7 pin socket on the truck. There is a harness that plugs into the back.

OP
OP
mattyk2188

mattyk2188

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4L
Thanks for the replies guys. I checked the wires & everything's all good. Nothing looks molested or frayed anywhere. & I played with the connection from the 7 pin to the bumper & she's in there good, I took er in & out a couple of times & nothing different. Didn't have a chance to swing by autozone before work today though to check if in getting power back there

2014ram4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
hook the trailer 7 way pin to the truck and test the trailer wire with a test light to see
if the trailer wire is loose or a light out on the trailer.
I know the wire plug on the trailer isn't all that great.
hope that help

OP
OP
mattyk2188

mattyk2188

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4L
Thanks guys! After a trip to Advanced Auto to borrow a volt meter, I had power to the rear. I later found the culprit. The ground on the trailer was less than ideal. Thanks for the advice!

bankshot

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi5.7
Same problem with wiring. My problem was a fuse and ground. The fuses are called Micro Case fuses. Only place I found to get them other than a dealer was NAPA. That goes for the small blade fuses as well. Might want to buy a few extras Justin case. No other parts stores have them yet.