Trailer Mirrors. Any way to make them power fold?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ramkid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.1
Hi All,
Just purchased a new 2017 Rebel.
I think I made a mistake by ordering the trailer package. Seems the trailer mirrors don't power fold. Crazy, I have to get out and fold the mirrors to pull in my garage. The cheaper mirrors power fold. Any one figured out how to make them power fold? Dealer service/parts department told me they can't do it.

init6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Buy new mirrors. Swap them out. Or just drive into the garage anyway. They will fold.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
To make them power fold would cost way more than it'd be worth. Just get out and fold them in.....

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
There are aftermarket power-fold towing mirrors you can add along with adding wiring/switches to make them fold. I think there are a couple of write ups on this forum of how some people added them.
As far as adding the factory power-fold mirrors w/switches, unless you can get RAM to add the build code to the truck, your sort of out of luck.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Or just drive into the garage anyway. They will fold.

This was my exact thought too.... how about a couple of carpet "bumpers" to keep from causing damage?

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
The trailer tow mirrors are nice. Maybe consider an addition to your garage? If you have the room to expand anyway. Ifb that's not an option, then maybe see if you can swap over to the power folding trailer tow mirrors. Probably would need additional wire harness, the switch panel on the drivers door and reprogram the bcm. Good luck

Last edited:

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
There are many options to adding the power-folding tow mirrors.

1A auto sells OEM and aftermarket power-folding tow mirrors, the aftermarket comes with aftermarket wiring and switches, not totally OEM but close. For OEM you would need to replace your door modules, mirror switch as well as the mirrors. Getting the OEM mirrors to work is another issue, there is a product called OBDII genie that can add the sales code to your truck, its a tad pricey and will be vin locked to your truck to prevent sharing with others. They have a video showing that it works and list it on their website as "finished in testing / coming soon" but no actual availability date. For most folks the easiest and cost effective way is the 1A auto kit for around 400.00 for everything. Some members have also wired in the OEM mirrors and added their own switches and wires to control the fold option.

BrianandChrissy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 big horn crew cab
Engine
5.7 hemi, vararam CAI
Tell your wife that you need a bigger man cave....errrr....garage to accommodate the new rig! :)

sent from galaxy S7 edge using tapatalk