Trailer not connected?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bcuz1998

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Good evening!
2014 Ram 2500 Laramie, 6.4 Hemi with factory trailer brake controller.

I plug in my camp trailer and using the slider, the display says no trailer connected. I held down the brake pedal and checked for power at the 7 pin plug and got nothing. Which fuse feeds the trailer brakes? First time towing with this truck, so its all pretty new to me. Rewired the trailer brake wiring, so there is no nicks or breaks in the wiring.
Thanks for the help!

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
It should "recognize" a trailer once plugged in so if it's not the first thing I'd check is the actual plug connection. My old TT had to be forced in super hard to make full contact. My newer 5th wheel is like butter so I think it's more a matter of the trailer plug than my Ram connection but anything is possible. Just be sure you're getting good contact.

I don't know a lot about the wiring but I'm pretty sure there are lots of different things passing through at the plug. Are you getting any brake lights, turn signals/flashers? The things to chase down change a lot depending on if you are just getting nothing at the plug versus only some things.

OP
OP
B

bcuz1998

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
All of the lights work, but no power at the pin for the trailer brakes.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
All of the lights work, but no power at the pin for the trailer brakes.

I would verify the trailer's brakes are functional by using the break-away switch. If they test good then start looking at the truck. My owners' manual for my MY15 shows F11 as the fuse you would want to check.

Grandpa Rick

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 3500 CC SRW Laramie Longhorn
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Just spit balling here but check the back of the plug on your truck. There is a connection where the wiring harness meets the 4/7 way plug next to the licence plate. Just a thought as it happened to me on my 2014 Ram 1500. Good Luck

OP
OP
B

bcuz1998

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The trailer is a 1977, so no break away. I will look at F11 though...thanks!

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Get the owners manual out and check witch fuse is for the trailer brakes. Did your truck come factory with the trailer brake or did you install it?

EDIT: Fuse is f-11 pink 30amp

Last edited:

RLM5150

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also check the trailer cable to insure it hasn't been pinched and shorting out one of the wires.