Trailer rebrake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

homebrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Hey group I recently got a new to me 25 foot boat, it's sitting on a trailer with dual 3500lb axels. As far as I can tell the surge brakes really aren't working..... Like at all. I assume this because the rotors look like they sat in the bottom of the ocean for a long time. I want to redo the brakes over the winter. It currently has disk surge brakes. I'd like to switch to electric brakes which will include new rotors,calipers, coupler. E trailer has kits but they are like a grand+ has anyone else upgraded their brakes? Any other cheaper alternatives that don't sacrifice safety/braking power?

Also my truck didn't come with a controller, is the oem unit worth the money?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 61

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Try Southwest Wheel, or Redneck Trailer Supply.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
are you planning on towing it long distance? brakes on boat trailers are usually a crapshoot from my experiences. i wouldnt even bother fixing them, but i live pretty close to the water.

OP
OP
homebrew

homebrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
normally its only a 3 mile trip to the local ramp, however there are other ramps that I may be using that are about 20 miles away. The truck with the engine brake does an ok job of stopping the added weight as long as there is time and space to stop. with 7k in tow that time and space gets much shorter. Considering just adding brakes to one axle initially and the other if one just isn't cutting it once I save up some more pennies.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
I'd throw another set of surge brakes on it. Should be able to find an entire kit for like $600 to replace everything.

No real advantage to having electronic brakes on a boat trailer. Besides, not electric brake calipers are splash, not submersion rated. Which is why you don't see electric brakes on boat trailers very often. Unless it's a very long, heavy boat. Even then, when I worked at a marina, those trailers had electric assist hydraulic brakes.