Trailer wiring issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grandpa Rick

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 3500 CC SRW Laramie Longhorn
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
I am driving a 2014 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn Crew with all of the bells and whistles. I hitched up my landscape trailer, checked the lights and all were working. This is where things went bad,,,I tried to select the trailer on the settings screen and thought I had done everything properly. I got to my destination and turned off the truck. I did not unhitch the trailer or disconnect the wiring. The next day I went to pull out and as I always do I checked the lights. Turn signals and brake lights all OK but NO running lights. I am a newbie to this truck. What dumb thing did I do wrong? I am a "senior" and electronically challenged.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
My first gut instinct is check your fuse block. These new trucks have fuses for each function on the trailer. There is probably a running light fuse and my guess is your trailer has a small short in it and it caused it to pop. That is were I would start. If you have a blown fuse next is to go through all of your wiring on the trailer to find the short should be easy a bare wire or loose one somewhere. Good luck hope this helps

OP
OP
Grandpa Rick

Grandpa Rick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Thanks for the info. I have checked the fuse block and everything there seems to be OK. And you are correct there seems to be a fuse for each circuit!.. I have an appointment with the dealership on Thursday morning. I will let you know what they find. Thanks

sicmadek

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 express qc
Engine
hemi 5.7
If you stay hooked to a trailer with a battery in it, you may run your truck dead. The charge wire on dodge trucks are hot all the time. On these new dodge trucks they switched to a new micro square fuse. We are still unable to get them from our distributor, but I would assume the dealer has them.

Bigbird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM 1500 QC 8sp, 3.21, Lone Star
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I used to have that problem on my F150. The tail lights and running lights are usually on the same pin. Turn your headlights on and go back there and wiggle the connector. Unplug it and plug it back in with the headlights still on.

OP
OP
Grandpa Rick

Grandpa Rick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
It was a fuse after all! It was a 20 amp fuse at F29 in the fuse block and you need a meter to check it. It looked OK from the top but it was gone. Got a new one installed and a spare,,,No charge, Warranty. I will start to carry a meter with me now.

jadocs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You should be able to pull the fuse out and check without a meter.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
It's time to check over your your trailer and find your loose wire.

Brian2081

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good Evening All, I just joined the forum and thought I would share what I found on my truck concerning this issue. I found a chafed / broken wire (brown) about 6 inches from the plug that is attached to the left front cab mount right behind the fender well. There are 2 plugs located there, the plug with the trailer parking / running lights is the small square one 2 wires in 4 wires out.

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
While we are talking trailer light issues my wife had a Durango that would blow the fuse if you plugged any trailer in with the lights on before you plugged it in.