Travel Trailer, Here We Come, Maybe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sargehah

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We are considering buying a travel trailer around the first of the year. The first real trip we take in it will likely be to Leadville, CO in June of next year for a wedding/family vacation.
I have a 2104 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 with a 5.7, 3.21 rears, and an 8 speed. I have gone through the site and seen a lot of back and forth but I want so no holds barred info on what I would be ok to tow. And before anyone comes back with just trade it for more truck, that will not happen, just bought this one less than a year ago. Of course I wasn't even thinking about towing then so the 3.21 didn't bother me. I am planning on buying a WD hitch no matter what and more than likely adding air springs to the rear.
We have looked around online at a lot of options and keep in mind that when we go somewhere it is usually for a week or more.Here is one that my wife and I really like because of the room and the bunkhouse layout: 2017 Coachmen Apex 300BHS, Lexington NC - - RVtrader.com
What do you guys think?, Would this be possible?

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Too damn big man. This is just *personal opinion* but I'd try to keep it 26' and under and around 5-6K loaded. This one just says "6000lbs options included". They are out there. If you go 30' feet and likely 7k my crystal ball says you'll either be trading trucks or trailers pretty quick.

Of course this is possible. I just don't think you'll enjoy it very much.

*EDIT* after a little poking around it is in fact 6K dry weight. Will be more when loaded to go.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Sargehah

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here are the exact specs from the Man. site:

Hitch Weight 672 lbs.
UVW 5977 lbs.
GVWR 7600 lbs.
CCC 1623 lbs.
Exterior Length 34' 3"
Exterior Height 10' 4"
Exterior Width 96"

OP
OP
S

Sargehah

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So if I were to even consider (Probably not for another year) trading for say a 2500, would I better off going gas(6.4) or diesel?

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
So if I were to even consider (Probably not for another year) trading for say a 2500, would I better off going gas(6.4) or diesel?

Gas vs Diesel? That is something I can't weigh in on with any first hand experience. I went gas, but either direction has positives and negatives depending on what you plan on using it for. Others with more knowledge than myself can bring them to light.

I just wouldn't try that trailer with your 1500 personally. It's more than I would be comfortable with. Your mileage may vary.

BlkZrx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 SLT Std. cab
Engine
Hemi 6.4
It's a tail wagging the dog thing, the wind load on a big trailer is huge. I used to pull a 24 foot TT with my 1/2 ton and got my 2500 to pull our new 34' camper. Your truck will pull it, but it won't be much fun in any kind of wind or less then ideal conditions.

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I agree more truck is always better. Here is what I have and it tows great, I have the Airlift 1000, and I am going to add the Tuftruck springs as well, but I have no complaints, and the truck has plenty of power.

The trick is to not try and drive 80 MPH, drive 65, and it will work great. Get a great WD hitch with sway control, and you will be just fine.

2016 1500 Hemi 3.21
Keystone Hideout 26BHSWE
de5f130f6b2aa5084fdbc9c60f69fbad.jpg
ae2d6a1c68ae84d6bf3f960ded2d9abd.jpg

OP
OP
S

Sargehah

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree more truck is always better. Here is what I have and it tows great, I have the Airlift 1000, and I am going to add the Tuftruck springs as well, but I have no complaints, and the truck has plenty of power.

The trick is to not try and drive 80 MPH, drive 65, and it will work great. Get a great WD hitch with sway control, and you will be just fine.

2016 1500 Hemi 3.21
Keystone Hideout 26BHSWE
de5f130f6b2aa5084fdbc9c60f69fbad.jpg
ae2d6a1c68ae84d6bf3f960ded2d9abd.jpg

Thanks, that is really helpful. When I looked yours up it shows as 31'6" in length and 6300 lbs. dry, is that correct?
If so then the one we were looking at is only 3 more feet and actually a little lighter. Most of the time we would be using it within 300 miles of home, just the trip to CO next year will be the real test because it will be 1600 miles over both the Appalachians and some of the Rockies.

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That is one key thing, SLOW DOWN! I don't know what the rush is, but when towing don't be in one.

Another is get a good WDH with sway control.

Know your weights. Too little tongue weight and that puppy will be a nightmare to tow. Too much and you're exceeding your truck GVWR.

It is going to rev. Let it.

It is going to shift. If it is shifting up and down constantly, just lock it into the lower gear and go. The excessive shifting will create heat in your transmission.

Watch your temps. Oil, water and transmission. You should be good, but keep an eye on them.

You may want to consider switching to LT tires instead of P metric.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thanks, that is really helpful. When I looked yours up it shows as 31'6" in length and 6300 lbs. dry, is that correct?
If so then the one we were looking at is only 3 more feet and actually a little lighter. Most of the time we would be using it within 300 miles of home, just the trip to CO next year will be the real test because it will be 1600 miles over both the Appalachians and some of the Rockies.
I have towed this throughout the norther rockies, and it likes no higher than sixth gear, and 65 mph.

The weight is correct, we are right at 7000lbs loaded, but remember water is 8lbs per gallon, so it adds up quick.

We have gone about 85 miles away, but I'm about to tow it down to NM. Now you might get 250 miles out of a tank, so I always have 15 gallons of extra gas, just in case, or I plan my stops, around that mark. Our trip to NM is usually a one day drive, but pulling the camper it's going to probably take us 3 days, but whatever, I have a hotel right behind me!

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Oh yeah, my truck came with E range tires on it, and I'm glad it did. I am going to switch the mirrors out for factory tow mirrors, and do the springs when I do the bilsteins, and it will be a dream to tow then!

OP
OP
S

Sargehah

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
AS far as switching to the LT tires goes, I would have to go up to a 275 65 20 instead of a 275 60 20 to ne able to get a LT, so that brings up a few questions. With a LT how much does the ride and fuel mileage suffer? What about the TPMS, will it still be able to be calibrated for the LT? Do you still run the LT at full pressure with it being on a 1/2 ton or run them low around the 40-50 psi range?
And with WDH, what would you recommend?

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AS far as switching to the LT tires goes, I would have to go up to a 275 65 20 instead of a 275 60 20 to ne able to get a LT, so that brings up a few questions. With a LT how much does the ride and fuel mileage suffer? What about the TPMS, will it still be able to be calibrated for the LT? Do you still run the LT at full pressure with it being on a 1/2 ton or run them low around the 40-50 psi range?
And with WDH, what would you recommend?
Hit the scales and then go to the mfr website. They should have inflation guides for the tires and weights. You wouldn't have to guess then, loaded or empty.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Run the LT lower. I always found the happy spot at around 55PSI. You may want more or less. 80PSI may be a bad idea on these rims. You're mileage won't suffer much if any at all unless you go to a more aggressive tread. Ride? It will be a touch more brisk :) Calibration is non-issue for that tiny size difference. I made the same jump.

Weight distribution- BlueOx Sway Pro fan here. Reese straightline is another great one as well as the Equal-i-zer brand. There are some really pricey ones beyond that, depends on your wallet depth. All in my BlueOx was around 1200CDN.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I bought a Husky Centerline Tow system. It's rated for 1400lb TW and 14,000lb Trailer weight. I know overkill, but I'll never have to buy another hitch again.

As far as my tires go, I have 17" Wheels, so I run 60 in the rear and 50 in the front unloaded. When I load up the trailer, I put 35 psi in the bags, and then 75 psi in the rear and 65 in the front (Cold).

Do I need to, probably not, but it takes the edge off, and with the trailer on the ride is smooth. Otherwise, it rides like a truck when unloaded, my fuel mileage only suffers when I hook the trailer up, and MPG has more to do with your right foot than anything else.

OilfieldLife

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I have a 2015 crew cab 1500 5.7 hemi, 3.21 gears. I've pulled my fathers camper roughly 15 times with it. It is 34 ft 7500lbs loaded. Pulls like a dream bud just remember to set your brakes correctly and to never get in a rush. I normally travel around 65 mph with no problems. 8 spd works great I rarely have issues with it swapping gears often but when it does just set it in the lower gear and let her eat. I've never had any problems. You have any experience with pulling travel trailers? Your biggest enemy is going to be wind once you fine tune everything else

OilfieldLife

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh and if you can go smaller it definitely would not hurt if it's your first TT. You will see what you need/never use that way

OP
OP
S

Sargehah

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I do not have experience pulling a TT, used to have a 32' enclosed but I also had a F350 dually with a 7.3 then too (wish I still had it). The biggest thing I have ever pulled with a 1/2 ton is a 5000 lbs. tractor and landscape trailer combo, pulled fine in 7th mostly at 70-75 but on mostly flat land. I am sure I can handle about anything if I have to, have well over 1 million miles under my belt in tractor trailers, but with that I also know how I used to fly by guys pulling a TT and often wondered how it felt on their end. Did you switch to Lt's as well?

OilfieldLife

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I actually used stockers to pull and recently switched to load range E 33x12.5x20. Rides stiffer but I personally like it. the stock tires did fine however I got tired of going to the tires shop every week to fix a hole. The last straw was when a pebble punctured my tire. Went straight to tire shop and put on those mud tires lol no worries now.