Truck camper with a DRW

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nwatkins176

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 ******
Hello everybody, I wanted some opinions.

I have a 2011 3500 DRW Crew Cab 4X4. 3.73 Gears. Below are the weights listed on the Dodge's website

GVWR 12,300 Payload 4720; Base Weight 7576; Base Front 4533; Base Rear 3043; GAWR Front 5500; GAWR Rear 9350, GCWR 21000 LBS, max trailer 13250

The sticker on the door shows a GVWR of 12,200 instead of 12,300

Okay now the back story then the question. I currently have a 5th wheel toy hauler that I have hauled all over the US. Before I paid this much attention to weights I once had the whole rig weighed and with two motorcycles and 3 adults in the cab, GCWR was 23400 lbs. with 5k (ish) on the steer and 7k (ish) on the drive. I didn't have any issues. I am doing these numbers from memory as it has been a few years.

We now have a built Rubicon that we want to take with us on vaca's with the RV. We will tow that on a car hauler, so a guess here of weights of 6k and 600lbs tongue. Options include a truck camper or spending a **** load of money on a Class C diesel and getting rid of the truck. I prefer a truck camper. Wifey prefers the motorhome. $$$$$ :)

I know the truck can handle a single slide truck campers. A lot of the single slide truck campers have a wet weight of around 4k. She is no go on single slides. She thinks that would be too crowded with our 11 year old. i could probably convince her to get a double slide. Those have couches.

Problem with the double sliders. 5000lbs ish wet weight.

That would put my truck over the payload listing and over GVWR. I see Dually's carrying double sliders all the time. I know the current DRW's have payloads around 5800 lbs.

These weights are still way under my axle ratings. I have had truck camper dealers tell me to go by axle ratings. So finally my question. Why is the payload rating so much under the axle ratings? According to axle ratings I should be able to put over 6k over the rear axle. What is the weak link in the truck to give the payload rating 1500lbs under the axle ratings? Do any of you travel over the payload but under the axle ratings? If you do any issues arise? What did they change in the DRW's over the last six years to gain 1k in payload?

I know this is a lot for a first post, but I appreciate the help.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Hello everybody, I wanted some opinions.

I have a 2011 3500 DRW Crew Cab 4X4. 3.73 Gears. Below are the weights listed on the Dodge's website

GVWR 12,300 Payload 4720; Base Weight 7576; Base Front 4533; Base Rear 3043; GAWR Front 5500; GAWR Rear 9350, GCWR 21000 LBS, max trailer 13250

The sticker on the door shows a GVWR of 12,200 instead of 12,300

Okay now the back story then the question. I currently have a 5th wheel toy hauler that I have hauled all over the US. Before I paid this much attention to weights I once had the whole rig weighed and with two motorcycles and 3 adults in the cab, GCWR was 23400 lbs. with 5k (ish) on the steer and 7k (ish) on the drive. I didn't have any issues. I am doing these numbers from memory as it has been a few years.

We now have a built Rubicon that we want to take with us on vaca's with the RV. We will tow that on a car hauler, so a guess here of weights of 6k and 600lbs tongue. Options include a truck camper or spending a **** load of money on a Class C diesel and getting rid of the truck. I prefer a truck camper. Wifey prefers the motorhome. $$$$$ :)

I know the truck can handle a single slide truck campers. A lot of the single slide truck campers have a wet weight of around 4k. She is no go on single slides. She thinks that would be too crowded with our 11 year old. i could probably convince her to get a double slide. Those have couches.

Problem with the double sliders. 5000lbs ish wet weight.

That would put my truck over the payload listing and over GVWR. I see Dually's carrying double sliders all the time. I know the current DRW's have payloads around 5800 lbs.

These weights are still way under my axle ratings. I have had truck camper dealers tell me to go by axle ratings. So finally my question. Why is the payload rating so much under the axle ratings? According to axle ratings I should be able to put over 6k over the rear axle. What is the weak link in the truck to give the payload rating 1500lbs under the axle ratings? Do any of you travel over the payload but under the axle ratings? If you do any issues arise? What did they change in the DRW's over the last six years to gain 1k in payload?

I know this is a lot for a first post, but I appreciate the help.

Your just going to have to put your foot down and tell her who the boss is.

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
OP, honestly, I would go with something like this. Hauling a JK or anything similar that won't necessarily fit into a toy hauler but you still want a nice place to live/camp is something like this. 1 ton truck, gooseneck trailer, truck camper and JK. Tell your wife the trailer has multiple uses and the truck camper has a nice sitting deck on it too.

Do a google image search of "goose neck truck camper". Lots of good ideas come up.

IMG_0323.jpg

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Just rent the motor home, it isn't that expensive and no upkeep.