TT Towing advice 2014 2500 CTD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

granite14

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500, 4x4, CC, SLT Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 6.4
One thing that I'm glad I did with my travel trailer is I went with the metal siding.
I already have a big dent where I hit a tree near the roof backing into a tight spot. I don't think I'd have been able to repair it with some silicone. The dent is still there, but it doesn't leak. I'd have had to replace the whole side if I'd went with the fiberglass I believe.

Your RV Series: Fiberglass or Metal Siding? | eBay

In general, I think most of the trailers are near the same quality for a given price range. There might be a little feature here or there, but they all seem to be made of the same materials. I've had to reinforce bench seats, and replace hinges, toilet fitting, the slide out bent a vent cover corner on the floor. The shades were junk, so my wife made some nice camping theme curtains.

I don't know how old your kids are, but our camper gets pretty heavy wear and is filthy from mud, beach sand and the like. The dog got through the screen. So, IMO, I think that if you use the trailer for "camping", its diminishing returns as to the quality ("something that will last") you get that will hold up to camping use... you'll still have to treat it gently. Just bouncing down the road behind a truck is a beating on the materials.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
One thing that I'm glad I did with my travel trailer is I went with the metal siding.
I already have a big dent where I hit a tree near the roof backing into a tight spot. I don't think I'd have been able to repair it with some silicone. The dent is still there, but it doesn't leak. I'd have had to replace the whole side if I'd went with the fiberglass I believe.

Your RV Series: Fiberglass or Metal Siding? | eBay

In general, I think most of the trailers are near the same quality for a given price range. There might be a little feature here or there, but they all seem to be made of the same materials. I've had to reinforce bench seats, and replace hinges, toilet fitting, the slide out bent a vent cover corner on the floor. The shades were junk, so my wife made some nice camping theme curtains.

I don't know how old your kids are, but our camper gets pretty heavy wear and is filthy from mud, beach sand and the like. The dog got through the screen. So, IMO, I think that if you use the trailer for "camping", its diminishing returns as to the quality ("something that will last") you get that will hold up to camping use... you'll still have to treat it gently. Just bouncing down the road behind a truck is a beating on the materials.

The other advantage to aluminum siding is it is lighter, on a 30' rv the difference can be quite a bit.

OP
OP
jadocs

jadocs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Great info guys, thanks. I think what I need to do is load the truck up with the family and get it weighed to see where I stand exactly on the rear axle. There may be hope yet for that 5th wheel.

On another note, the keystone outback 310TB Looked pretty good in terms of a TT Toy hauler.

Poleclimber

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500
Engine
Michigan at least used to be that way, I don't know if it still is or not but there were some requirements for pulling two trailers.
It must be a 5th wheel as the first trailer, the safety chains on the 2nd trailer had to form a continuous loop, and you had to have a recreational dpuble endorsement on your license.

You can still do it with all the things mentioned above. I see a lot of people doing it up here in northern michigan and the UP.

Poleclimber

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500
Engine
Great info guys, thanks. I think what I need to do is load the truck up with the family and get it weighed to see where I stand exactly on the rear axle. There may be hope yet for that 5th wheel.

On another note, the keystone outback 310TB Looked pretty good in terms of a TT Toy hauler.

Not sure what state your in but do the cops or dot usually check what your weights are while pulling campers or are you just trying to be safe? I've never seen or heard of anyone getting messed with around here.

OP
OP
jadocs

jadocs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pole climber,

I'm just trying to be safe and not over stress the truck beyond what it is was designed for (ie. warranty repairs).

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
You can still do it with all the things mentioned above. I see a lot of people doing it up here in northern michigan and the UP.

I was mainly questioning if they changed the rules to see if a travel trailer could be used to tow another trailer. I did just check and they didn't for the record.