tuftruck coils

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

muzupan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram1500 Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good morning everyone, I am going to change the rear coils on my 2015 ram 1500 crew cab and I am going to use the tuftruck coils. Speaking with the gentleman at the company,he knowing my application usage he suggested that I go with the TTC 1210 or the TTC 1211 he said I did not need to use the TTC 1223v. The only thing I can guess is because I told him I tow a travel trailer that fully loaded is at 7600lbs. So, here's my question and are there any of you that use the TTC 1210 or the TTC 1211 coil? TTC 1210 is a 25%increase capacity the TTC 1211 is a 50% increase capacity over the OEM coils.
How much difference does it make in the ride when my truck is not under a load.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
The big question is how often will you be pulling this trailer? And how far? The 1223v may be a good option but the 1210 and 1211 both will raise the back of your truck when not loaded if memory serves me right. I do not have the tuff trucks coils but read a lot about them hopefully those who have them will chime in.

muttmutt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I went with TTC-1223 V. Same height unloaded and ride quality as good as factory. I also tow a toyhauler about that weight loaded. Have not towed with it but have had it hooked up with and without WD hitch. Springs handle the weight much better and 1/2 the squat as the factory springs until the WD hooked up.

OP
OP
M

muzupan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram1500 Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The 1210 of the 1211 are supposed to be standard height for the pick up truck. Here is the response from tuftruck not recommending the 1223V. When you put the weight of your trailer on the hitch the TTC-1223V will drop down around 2" before it picks up the variable part of the coil which gives the extra capacity, on the TTC-1210 & TTC-1211 the extra capacity starts right away.

So here's the question? If I went with the TTC 1223V and I use my weight distribution hitch and I raise my truck back up those two inches I guess I would lose the benefit of the coil operated correctly? Am I right about this?

OP
OP
M

muzupan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram1500 Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, my suspicions were correct. If I got the TTC 1223V and I use my weight distribution hitch to raise the tt above the 2 inch drop that what would happen with the TTC 1223V then I would lose the benefit of the variable coil, I would not have the extra capacity available that the coil offers.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, my suspicions were correct. If I got the TTC 1223V and I use my weight distribution hitch to raise the tt above the 2 inch drop that what would happen with the TTC 1223V then I would lose the benefit of the variable coil, I would not have the extra capacity available that the coil offers.

I'm not sure you'd "lose the benefit of the variable coil". You would not get enough weight on it to utilize the higher rate lower portion of the spring. BUT, you would benefit by keeping a stock-like ride. If you go +25% or +50% you will give up some measure of comfort. If you've always driven trucks (with leaf springs) that may not be a big deal. If you chose the RAM because of its car-like ride when empty, you have now have a decision to make.
Think about how often you tow, and how you use the truck when NOT towing.

OP
OP
M

muzupan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram1500 Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm not sure you'd "lose the benefit of the variable coil". You would not get enough weight on it to utilize the higher rate lower portion of the spring. BUT, you would benefit by keeping a stock-like ride. If you go +25% or +50% you will give up some measure of comfort. If you've always driven trucks (with leaf springs) that may not be a big deal. If you chose the RAM because of its car-like ride when empty, you have now have a decision to make.
Think about how often you tow, and how you use the truck when NOT towing.

I am not really concerned about the extra gain of capacity but I would like to see when towing my trailer the bobbing up-and-down and the rocking back-and-forth especially in strong winds be reduced. So, if I could get that benefit with the TTC 1223V that I would be happy

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There are a lot more factors than just the rear truck coils in that equation. Quality and setup of your hitch (for your truck, how you use use it, how you load it), trailer suspension, tires on the trailer, tires on your truck.
I have spent 3 seasons dialing our setup in, and have only the truck tires left to upgrade. Bit by bit it's gotten more predictable and stable in windy conditions and when being passed by big rigs.
If you haven't spent time adjusting your hitch setup, start there. See what load rating your trailer tires are, and take it across a set of scales. (If they are only 'C' rated, they may be near max when loaded!) Even the stock leaf springs on our trailer were flat,and we were within its limits.
It sounds to me like you're putting a lot of faith in remedying the problem, in just the coils. My $.02

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
I have the 1211 coils and flat out LOVE them.
Installed Bilstein 5100 series shocks, at the same time, so my Ride DID firm up.

I cannot state, with any conviction, which part caused it, though I am leaning to the shocks. My friend has a Ram too. He did just the bilstein 4600 series, kept OEM springs and his truck rides a lot like mine. Mine may be slightly more firm but cannot truly say.

Now you got me wondering , so will grab his truck tomorrow and take it out again.

With the weight you are towing, and the fact it is travel trailer, I would suggest the 1211 springs.

If that trailer weight was on, all the time, I would suggest the 1223, not the V springs.

If that weight were an open trailer or flatbed trailer, I would suggest the 1210. But not with a big box trailer. Even a if most of your runs were short, 100-200miles, at some point, you will be out in windy conditions and the 1211 will better serve you.

Recommend a rear shock upgrade, at the minimum.

Al that said, I went with the 1211 because that is what Tuftruck recommended, for me, in my situation. I bought my springs through SDSprings but never spoke with them, Not sure , with whom, you have spoken.

Tuftruck suggested 1211 springs because I tow a boat, darn near ever day or every other day, most of the spring and summer. AND my previous truck, of the last 15 yrs was a 3/4 Dodge and I hate Sag.

They told me if I was that used to a 3/;4 ton pickup, how it hauls a load , handles weight, etc. I would prefer the 1211 and, so far, I am happy as a clam.

Good Lcuk to you, on whatever you decide.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
There are a lot more factors than just the rear truck coils in that equation. Quality and setup of your hitch (for your truck, how you use use it, how you load it), trailer suspension, tires on the trailer, tires on your truck.
I have spent 3 seasons dialing our setup in, and have only the truck tires left to upgrade. Bit by bit it's gotten more predictable and stable in windy conditions and when being passed by big rigs.
If you haven't spent time adjusting your hitch setup, start there. See what load rating your trailer tires are, and take it across a set of scales. (If they are only 'C' rated, they may be near max when loaded!) Even the stock leaf springs on our trailer were flat,and we were within its limits.
It sounds to me like you're putting a lot of faith in remedying the problem, in just the coils. My $.02

+1

This guy gives sound advice.

Hitch makes a HUGE differnece in how well a truck tows.
Having teh weight properly distributed, the trailers own load out weight properly distributed within teh trailer, lots of things come into play.

That said, I hooked my ol 99 2500 Dodge up to all kinds of stuff and that truck didn't care if it had WD Hitch. sway bar. etc.

nothing made a difference to that Beast. Just squat a little bit more. was about it. Never had a white knuckle event in that truck and he was overloaded, more than few times, on private farm land. Not crawling either, 20-30MPH, over pastures and fields, in North Dakota. Loaded to all it would carry. Truck didn't care.

SO, Springs do make a huge difference. Tires too. Then WD HItch, sway bars, shocks, loaded out, etc.

OP
OP
M

muzupan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram1500 Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
+1

This guy gives sound advice.

Hitch makes a HUGE differnece in how well a truck tows.
Having teh weight properly distributed, the trailers own load out weight properly distributed within teh trailer, lots of things come into play.

That said, I hooked my ol 99 2500 Dodge up to all kinds of stuff and that truck didn't care if it had WD Hitch. sway bar. etc.

nothing made a difference to that Beast. Just squat a little bit more. was about it. Never had a white knuckle event in that truck and he was overloaded, more than few times, on private farm land. Not crawling either, 20-30MPH, over pastures and fields, in North Dakota. Loaded to all it would carry. Truck didn't care.

SO, Springs do make a huge difference. Tires too. Then WD HItch, sway bars, shocks, loaded out, etc.

My WD hitch is set up right. I have had 2 dealers look at it and they said it looks good and it is level. I can understand about tires and when I replace them I will upgrade them but the cheapest thing to do right now is change out the coils. Mainly because of the bobbing up and down and rolling.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
I am leaning toward the ttc1211 which is the 50%. I just wondering how much difference is the ride when not towing.

AM going to go over to my buddies, right now. Trade turcks and go for alittle drive, will let you know.

He did the bilstein 4600 and no springs.
I did 510 and 1211 springs. Will report back later today, with obth of our thoughts. FYI, he is always wrong.

OP
OP
M

muzupan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram1500 Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
AM going to go over to my buddies, right now. Trade turcks and go for alittle drive, will let you know.

He did the bilstein 4600 and no springs.
I did 510 and 1211 springs. Will report back later today, with obth of our thoughts. FYI, he is always wrong.

Great, thanks will look forward to the response. Glad to know your buddy is always wrong.

RodRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
just installed the 1223v on my 1500 cc on stock springs w/a ARE truck cap I had 2'' sag, now I have none and the ride is a little stiffer but still feels good, but need more seat time to tell for sure

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Okay, drove buddy's truck. My truck is noticeably stiffer, barely.
Mostly on really rough roads, washboards and such.

Highway driving, really no difference, unless coming off a NEW bridge that the approaches has settled, you know, where they did not pack the dirt, good enough, before paving. So now there is a big drop off, from the approach settling.

The kind that drop off ya hate, if on a bike.

We went over one, about 70mph. Since it is in teh curve, we got harsh, left-right sideways action, plus a drop off and my truck was a heck of a lot firmer than my buddy's. Felt like i was on water balloons with his truck. More play in his truck.

Other than that, on highway, really not much difference, differences were when on rough stuff. my truck had was stiffer.

Got to say, my truck felt better, to me, in all situations.

OP
OP
M

muzupan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram1500 Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Okay, drove buddy's truck. My truck is noticeably stiffer, barely.
Mostly on really rough roads, washboards and such.

Highway driving, really no difference, unless coming off a NEW bridge that the approaches has settled, you know, where they did not pack the dirt, good enough, before paving. So now there is a big drop off, from the approach settling.

The kind that drop off ya hate, if on a bike.

We went over one, about 70mph. Since it is in teh curve, we got harsh, left-right sideways action, plus a drop off and my truck was a heck of a lot firmer than my buddy's. Felt like i was on water balloons with his truck. More play in his truck.

Other than that, on highway, really not much difference, differences were when on rough stuff. my truck had was stiffer.

Got to say, my truck felt better, to me, in all situations.

Thanks for the info. I am leaning toward the 1211s. I will make up my mind over the weekend.

RodRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Drove mine some tonight the ride is close to stock just a little stiffer but I wish I had measured distance from top of tire to fender before putting on the 1223v but forgot so we measured it jacked up and had 7.75" then let it down and it didn't move still 7.75 so it didn't sag at all under the 190 lbs of bed cap, that's a good thing but I'm wishing it was not quite that tall in the back if I leave it like it is headlights will need adjusting up before they were borderline to high now they are low. Any thoughts

phrater

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Express crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the info. I am leaning toward the 1211s. I will make up my mind over the weekend.

Did you ever decide on springs? I'm curious about how the new springs towed your trailer.

I'm leaning towards the 1223V...