Upgrade suggestions for towing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeepkid

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Dodge Ram 1500 TRX 4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Looking to trade out my 14ft pop up trailer for a bigger travel trailer type setup.

I know on my old grand cherokee they had issues with the trans burning up and i went and put a huge trans cooler and that saved me from future damage.

I want to get airbag helper bags for the weight but any other items suggested? like different shocks or a different hitch?

Im thinking we are gonna go to the 26+ft range?

and of course being in washington state we have all hills.

spankis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Since you haven't bought the trailer yet, I would try to purchase one of the many "lite" models out there if you can. They aren't much more cost, if any, and they truly do make a huge difference in terms of weight vs. living space.

I would also suggest a sway-control hitch of some type; there are several styles and manufacturers. For your hemi, I would try to find something that is 6000 lbs or less dry, for sure.

Rotzilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I recently purchased a 30ft toyhauler, 6200lbs dry. I have a weight distribution/anti-sway hitch. The truck squats approximatley 2 inches under the trailers weight. I would definately do the coil air bags if I was going to keep this truck. I am able to run 65 mph under most circumstances, however a moderate grade will slow me down. My evic readouts on temps all seem to stay well within standards. I am averaging 9.5 mpg, only mod under the hood is a k&n filter. When I replace my current ram I am definately going with 3.92 gears.

OP
OP
J

Jeepkid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I recently purchased a 30ft toyhauler, 6200lbs dry. I have a weight distribution/anti-sway hitch. The truck squats approximatley 2 inches under the trailers weight. I would definately do the coil air bags if I was going to keep this truck. I am able to run 65 mph under most circumstances, however a moderate grade will slow me down. My evic readouts on temps all seem to stay well within standards. I am averaging 9.5 mpg, only mod under the hood is a k&n filter. When I replace my current ram I am definately going with 3.92 gears.

Thats good to hear, i have the 3.92 gears. but i was thinking when i go to replace my truck of doing a diesel. !

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
A trans cooler is a HUGE plus when pulling ANY trailer any sort of distance. Also replacing diff fluid and any other fluids (like trans and transfer case) with TRUE synthetics will help. Redline & Amsoil are TRUE synthetics. Mobil 1 is a DINO with a mass amount of synthetic stabilizers packed in. Mobil is a good oil, but Redline or Amsoil is better.

Anywhere you can remove heat or make something more efficient, do it. They all add up.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The rear coil airbags helpers will not only help with squat, they'll offer additional sway control. Any trailer at the length you're looking at you'll need a good quality weight distribution hitch (with the bars) but brand is up to you.
Check your VIN to see if you have the towing pkg which includes a trans cooler before you add one.
Aside from that, watch your tire pressure and trans temp, drive at sane speeds and you'll be fine.
We pull a 32' travel trailer which I'm figuring out the finer points of sway control for but the truck is strong; no complaints there.

OP
OP
J

Jeepkid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A trans cooler is a HUGE plus when pulling ANY trailer any sort of distance. Also replacing diff fluid and any other fluids (like trans and transfer case) with TRUE synthetics will help. Redline & Amsoil are TRUE synthetics. Mobil 1 is a DINO with a mass amount of synthetic stabilizers packed in. Mobil is a good oil, but Redline or Amsoil is better.

Anywhere you can remove heat or make something more efficient, do it. They all add up.

I plan to over maintain this truck. i spent too much time playing catch up with my old jeep.

Any suggestions for a trans cooler? i wanna do one of those with the aux fan that can be remote mounted. i didnt like how hot the trans got when i was towing our tiny tent trailer.

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
I am looking at upgrading my tires in the near future. I think if you are towing a P, or C rating is just too low with any real weight. My tires sag badly (17in stockers w load rating C), and allow sway in the side walls. I am definitely going to at least a D, if not an E which will increase stability, and puncture resistance.

dogcar3

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I plan to over maintain this truck. i spent too much time playing catch up with my old jeep.

Any suggestions for a trans cooler? i wanna do one of those with the aux fan that can be remote mounted. i didnt like how hot the trans got when i was towing our tiny tent trailer.

If you already have a trans cooler, then mount a second remote one in series with it. That will keep temps down for sure.

OP
OP
J

Jeepkid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am looking at upgrading my tires in the near future. I think if you are towing a P, or C rating is just too low with any real weight. My tires sag badly (17in stockers w load rating C), and allow sway in the side walls. I am definitely going to at least a D, if not an E which will increase stability, and puncture resistance.

When we towed the pop up my back end was real soft and we had barely anything inside the truck bed. and the trailer wasn't packed very full either.

I did notice my tires were bulged pretty decent, definitely more then id like. I have the factory original tires which just wont wear down for new.

OP
OP
J

Jeepkid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
For air bags, check out TLC TotalLoadControl.com.

TLC air bags rated over 5,000 lbs. Inside the coil sleeves rated at 1,000 lbs.

Those look really good, my question is. Is this a bolt on system?

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I still intend to go with the TLC system at some point. John can I leave the airlifts in there so I don't have to take out.

OP
OP
J

Jeepkid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sorry for late reply.

Yes, its a bolt-on system. No mods or drilling.

I see that the TLC system is outside of the springs. what are the benefits of this system over the air lift type stuff?