Upgrading rear axle and springs from a 3500 to a 5500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

truckmen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
Hello all,

Has anyone upgraded their 3500 rear axle and suspension with that of a 4500 or 5500?

I understand I will have issues if I only try to use the leaf springs out of say, a 5500 because the U-bolts are of a different size. I would also upgrade the rear axle because of the loads I haul.

I regularly haul 4 cars on a 10,000-lb Wally-Mo so I am sometimes grossing 36,000-lbs with a pin weight of 14,000-lbs

20160920_124125_zpsmbfhretl.jpg

OP
OP
truckmen

truckmen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
In my mind you'd be better off just moving up to a truck that can more easily pull that load.

Yes, me too but two things have me not going that route

1) Having to trade in this truck for a 5500. Not financially prepared to do that and...
2) All other major components of the truck, ie, the engine, transmission have been sufficient for my needs. :favorites13:

Last edited:

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
And when you step up to the 4500/5500 class the rules of the road change in many states.

OP
OP
truckmen

truckmen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
And when you step up to the 4500/5500 class the rules of the road change in many states.

Please give me a few examples. At the moment I am registered as a commercial vehicle and I was planning to keep my bed.

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
Yes, me too but two things have me not going that route

1) Having to trade in this truck for a 5500. Not financially prepared to do that and...
2) All other major components of the truck, ie, the engine, transmission have been sufficient for my needs. :favorites13:

So, your over your GCVWR by about 6k lbs and your payload by about 7k lbs?

If so, how prepared are you to get financially skull phucked when you get into an accident?

GUNNOE20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
First off I'm not gonna say it can't be done but they are extremely different differentials and the springs are VERY different also... not just a matter of u bolts. And even if you did do all the work it would be for nothing because the DOT will go by the factory sticker on your door NOT what you did to modify the truck. There are however some shops that will recertify your truck but I'd venture to say not unless they do the work.... I know it's not what you want to hear but you need a bigger truck or haul less weight. I think the rear axle in your truck is rated for about 9200 - 9300 lbs... can't remember for sure but u are asking for trouble in a commercial vehicle. I can't tell you what to do nor should I. I hope I was a little bit of help and wish you luck and prosperity in your line of work, it's a rough one some times. Be safe out there.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi

If so, how prepared are you to get financially skull phucked when you get into an accident?

im a little curious how hes avoiding all the scales actually.

OP
OP
truckmen

truckmen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel

Understand and I appreciate your concern.
I'm registered for 38,000# gross and since last December (2015) drove 110,000 with no accidents. I do what many "four wheelers" or motorists don't do, I leave reasonable following distance; probably why I rarely even have close calls.

GUNNOE20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You can leave all the following distance you want. I drive a heavy haul low boy everyday.... I promise it won't stop someone from cutting over in front of you and cramming the brakes so they can turn off ;) at max your set up is (axle weight ratings) good for 34k which is still to much for your truck. Someone at the scale is not doing their job. There is NO way you can haul that much weight and not be over on an axle somewhere.

Arctic-Rodz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Wanna see pics of what you're hauling.

Interested in going into car hauling as well. I wouldn't be the driver since I don't have a CDL. I'll be hiring my bro-in law, but I'm considering a 3500 dually with the Aisin and 4.10's which I test drove recently.

Debating trailers as well.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
im a little curious how hes avoiding all the scales actually.

I can't speak for south of the border, but here the only numbers that matter are axle weights (Commercial- not what the door sticker says) tire load combination, registered weight and what your license says you can drive. The GVWR, GCWR etc means nothing for commercial applications. It only matters what you are registered and insured to, and that you aren't exceeding your tire load capacity.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When you change GCWR over certain points some state require more insurance or higher level insurance, as well liabilities, and over that huge huge penalties when over weight based on the truck. Where is if you have a certain GCWR truck and go over weight its frowned upon but not hated as much.

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
"I regularly haul 4 cars on a 10,000-lb Wally-Mo so I am sometimes grossing 36,000-lbs with a pin weight of 14,000-lbs"
He also said he's "registered for 38,000# gross"

I am guessing that when he sometimes is grossing 36,000lbs he means thats his GCWR. And that he's registered for 38,000lbs he's talking about his GCWR.
That sounds about right and "legal" The max towing for his truck is about 30,000lbs. So that'll make his GCWR of roughly 38,000lbs.

But there is no way he's legal with 14,000lbs pin weight. The GVWR of the truck is 14,000lbs. With 14,000lbs pin weight would make the weight of his truck over 20,000lbs!

What are the axle weights when you're rolling over the scales at 36,000lbs??

Last edited:

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
In my mind you'd be better off just moving up to a truck that can more easily pull that load.

its kind if like when our press break operator trys to stuff 10lbs of **** into a 5lbs bag. not a good idea.