WD Hitch Solution?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zflat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
So my current setup is a 2016 2500 CCSB with the 6.4 Hemi and I am pulling a 33 ft Coleman TT with a 7900# dry weight. I am using an EAZ-lift 10,000# WD hitch. Currently I have the 2" shank and I am using the sleeve that came with the truck. I am in the market for the 2.5" shank, and I think I've found one, but I am not sure it will meet my needs.

My issue is that my current hitch has a 6.25" drop and the only class V replacement shank that I have found also has a 6.25" drop. Here is the shank in question: http://www.etrailer.com/p-C17128.html

That being said, with the height of my truck it causes the trailer to be slightly nose up while towing, even with the WD all hooked up. I have attached a picture to show the stance. My ball is angled sharply back towards the trailer, which is how the dealer set it up for my 1500. If I angle the ball to 90 degrees will this level out the trailer? Do I need more drop? How is everyone with a 2500 and a TT going about this? I feel like I can't be the only one with this problem with the height of these beautiful trucks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 101

monteholic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
if you bring the ball forward, it will raise the nose of the trailer some, it will also re-postion the angle of the bars so they will need to be re-adjusted to (shorten the chains)

I have the same problem, I have a PW that is 2" taller than other 2500's, I can not find a 2 1/2" shank with enough drop, I currently have a 7 1/2" drop (trunnion style) and it's sloppy!

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I just used the 2.5" to 2" reducer and got a 2" shank with the right dropdown. Does that not meet the weight requirements? I carried over my WDH from a previous truck with a 2" receiver to my Ram and just used the adapter under the seat. I was on the last holes on my dropdown and my trailer did sit a tad nose high.

OP
OP
Z

zflat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I just used the 2.5" to 2" reducer and got a 2" shank with the right dropdown. Does that not meet the weight requirements? I carried over my WDH from a previous truck with a 2" receiver to my Ram and just used the adapter under the seat. I was on the last holes on my dropdown and my trailer did sit a tad nose high.

There is another thread on the front page of towing/trailers discussing the sleeve. I really don't think there is an issue with weight and using the sleeve, other than it makes your WD hitch "less effective", but really with a "1/2 ton towable TT" I don't think it will cause too many issues. My biggest reason for wanting to step up to the class V shank is that my setup with the sleeve is super sloppy and slams/slides forward and backward when stopping.

What brand/ how much drop is on your current setup?

BlkZrx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 SLT Std. cab
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I just had this "talk" with Equalizer hitch dealer. They don't make a big enough drop 2 1/2" shank. Told me to use the adapter and their 9" drop 2" shank.

Sent from my XT1021 using Tapatalk

BlkZrx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 SLT Std. cab
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'm considering welding the adapter in place..

OP
OP
Z

zflat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I just had this "talk" with Equalizer hitch dealer. They don't make a big enough drop 2 1/2" shank. Told me to use the adapter and their 9" drop 2" shank.

Well that's frustrating. There is definitely a market out there.

OP
OP
Z

zflat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'm considering welding the adapter in place..

They sell the adapters at Tractor Supply here. Might have to pick one up and have it welded...

cyclepuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 Mega
Engine
I went from a 1/2 ton to the 3/4 and tilted the head back forward to 90° with shank. That will take some of the tension of the bars effectively giving you more weight/squat on the rear. And went to a 8" shank with adaptor.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

SIhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I found a 8" drop in tractor supply. I went with a 5" for the car trailer I just got and I'm having the same issue. I nose of the trailer is slightly higher. I'm probably going to go get the 8" before I use the trailer again.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
There is another thread on the front page of towing/trailers discussing the sleeve. I really don't think there is an issue with weight and using the sleeve, other than it makes your WD hitch "less effective", but really with a "1/2 ton towable TT" I don't think it will cause too many issues. My biggest reason for wanting to step up to the class V shank is that my setup with the sleeve is super sloppy and slams/slides forward and backward when stopping.

What brand/ how much drop is on your current setup?

I've sold the TT and hitch so I can't remember the exact size and brand. I think it was an Equalizer. My truck is stock and it was a pretty standard drop down.

I've read about the slop between the receiver and the adapter but never experienced any. I never ended up using the adapter that came stock with the truck (I didn't know if was under the seat). I'm wondering if the Ram ones are poorly sized and that's why people are complaining. I'd definitely get a different one to see if you have the same trouble. It would be by far easiest if you run with a 2" setup since there are so many more hitches made for that size.

15BlueStreak

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
I have a Reese round bar hitch. 2"shank. I am at the bottom of the drop with the standard shank that I purchased with the kit. It puts trailer pretty much level. My trailer runs around 1000 to 1200 tw. I use the adapter also and do not notice any clunking or sloppiness. you are only supposed to tilt the head to position the bars properly for the given hitch. Also to have the right amount of chain links showing. The more tilt away from truck the more weight you can transfer with less links.

2015HD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
eTrailer shows my Reese has 5.5" max drop but I don't believe it, I'm going to measure it when I get home.

jimsummers74

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I also wrote Equalizer and the tech guy told me that they have no problems w/ the reducers. No warranty problems and no weight reductions on the hitch.

2015HD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I guess mine is only 5.5'' max drop. At the lowest point the top of my ball would be 22" off the ground (which would be too low for my TT to be level).

OP
OP
Z

zflat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I guess mine is only 5.5'' max drop. At the lowest point the top of my ball would be 22" off the ground (which would be too low for my TT to be level).

I think you may have found what I'm looking for! My ball is sitting at 26" at max drop so that would level me out. Can you confirm two things for me?

Reference pic 1: Does the shank narrow to 2" where the hitch attaches, or does it stay at 2.5". Amazon doesn't say and I can't tell from the pictures.

Reference pic 2: If answer 1 is yes, are the holes where the hitch attaches 1 1/4" apart? Again, Amazon doesn't really clarify that.

Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 63
OP
OP
Z

zflat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I think you may have found what I'm looking for! My ball is sitting at 26" at max drop so that would level me out. Can you confirm two things for me?

Reference pic 1: Does the shank narrow to 2" where the hitch attaches, or does it stay at 2.5". Amazon doesn't say and I can't tell from the pictures.

Reference pic 2: If answer 1 is yes, are the holes where the hitch attaches 3/4" apart? Again, Amazon doesn't really clarify that.

Thanks!
Here's pic 2.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 60

BlkZrx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 SLT Std. cab
Engine
Hemi 6.4
OP
OP
Z

zflat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I also wrote Equalizer and the tech guy told me that they have no problems w/ the reducers. No warranty problems and no weight reductions on the hitch.

It's not so much the reduction as it is the slop. My current setup slams forward when I stop and slams backward when I accelerate.