WDH Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EJR_3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Long story short, planning on upgrading my open car hauler to an enclosed one which will increase my load to over 5k when loaded... so I'll need a WDH. Being doing research and stuck. The systems are based of TW. The trailer I'm looking at will have the TW of about 420 and will almost double when loaded. Found the info below all over and it's making me uneasy.

"If the bars of the system you choose are rated too high for your setup, they will create a rigid ride, which can result in a bouncing trailer. If, on the other hand, the bars are not rated high enough, the system will be unable to properly distribute the weight, rendering it virtually useless."

Would this mean I'll be stuck with a rigid/bouncy ride when I'm traveling empty if I get a system rated for 900 TW/9k gross trailer weight?

Last edited:

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
WDHs are a pretty simple concept and as long as you some adjustments you'll be fine. The last time I had one it was a chain type and I could just move the attachment up one down a chain link depending on my load. I know some of the newer ones aren't a chain but should have some adjustments. The main thing is to familiarize yourself with how to adjust it up and down depending on how much weight you have.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
You may want to look into a WDH that has the chains for adjustment. You can adjust them for the load quickly, without tools.
For running empty, you don't even need to use the bars. Ram recommends using a WDH when the trailer is at the 5K mark.
I've pulled an 8'X24' enclosed car hauler empty without a WDH, no problems. It weighs about 3K

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
You may want to look into a WDH that has the chains for adjustment. You can adjust them for the load quickly, without tools.
For running empty, you don't even need to use the bars. Ram recommends using a WDH when the trailer is at the 5K mark.
I've pulled an 8'X24' enclosed car hauler empty without a WDH, no problems. It weighs about 3K

This. Use them when loaded and don't when empty. Or you can do like me...

I have an eaz lift elite wdh and I have 2 sets of bars for different situations. They sell the system in many weight classes then you just buy extra bars. Downfall of this system (if you really want to call it that) you have to remove the sway bar before backing up. The system is very easy to use.

OP
OP
EJR_3

EJR_3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins

Didn't think about not using the bars :favorites13:. I think I like the chainless design a but better. So far, this one standing out the most.
CURT Manufacturing - CURT TruTrack Trunnion Bar Weight Distribution System #17500
I take it I would need the same principle. Don't use the bars when unloaded.

muzupan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram1500 Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have used the fastway e-2 of my lighter trailer and now are use equalizer on my heavy trailer. They are both made by the same company and both do a great job.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Didn't think about not using the bars :favorites13:. I think I like the chainless design a but better. So far, this one standing out the most.
CURT Manufacturing - CURT TruTrack Trunnion Bar Weight Distribution System #17500
I take it I would need the same principle. Don't use the bars when unloaded.
For that light of a trailer while unloaded, hitch and go, no WDH needed.
One downside to that style WDH is you need to unbolt part of the head to adjust it. If the load in the trailer is pretty much the same all the time it isn't an issue.
Maybe consider: http://www.curtmfg.com/part/17062
You tweak the WDH by raising/lowering the chain link.
Whichever WDH you go with, it needs to do it's job and you need to feel comfortable while using it.