WDH Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kev12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys, I'm in a time crunch here. I just upgraded to a Ram 2500 from a Tundra. 1st problem, had to lower ball to lowest level on the shank. Off the truck, trailer is level at about 23.5'(ground to top of coupler). On the truck, it's at 25.5', so I'm about 2' too high. Is that too much of a difference? I can't find anywhere in town that has a drop shank.

Next question, Do i still need the WDH? Trailer weighs roughly 5500lb loaded. I put the trailer on for the 1st time and my back hardly dropped at all. I'm attaching some pictures, Thanks

Attachments

• trailer 1.png
    trailer 1.png
    22.1 KB · Views: 89
  • trailer 2.png
    trailer 2.png
    23.1 KB · Views: 92
  • truck.png
    truck.png
    20.8 KB · Views: 89

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Being nose high with a single axle trailer isn't that big of a deal. If it's short dual axle, you may be putting excessive load on the trailer's rear axle/tires.(maybe attach some trailer pics while attached).
Having a WDH wouldn't hurt although that trailer is on the lighter side for a 2500. See how it tows.

muzupan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram1500 Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would get a drop Shank to level your trailer instead of riding high because riding nose high will give you more trailer sway. As far as the weight distribution hitch, I would go ahead and get one that uses the spring bars as an anti-sway option such as blue ox, fastway or equalizer.