WDH Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

socalledchad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looking at a small travel trailer in the future so looking to get a weight distribution hitch ...i have a few questions though.

First. I tow multiple trailes..can I use just the hitch part without the bars and and chains when pulling my smaller trailers ? Or would I need to pull the hitch and put my standard hitch and ball back on?

Second. The trailer I pull most often is a 6x12 v nose enclosed. The normal weight is about 2500 lbs. Sometimes I'll load materials for short distances and get it to 3500 4k lbs I don't really have an issue pulling it..but would the wdh Make noticeable improvement with just the 2500 lbs? ...there is some bounce on bumpy roads but not major..woukd it improve this ?

Third...my travel trailer will probably weigh 4 to 6k max. I read you don't want to go to a heavy wdh with a lighter trailer....ie bigger is not better in this case.. can anyone confirm this ? I'm looking at the 600 lbs vs the 1000 model because of that.

My truck ...13 1500 CC. 3.55 5.7 6 speed. Air lift 1000 installed.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
How far are you going to be pulling that travel trailer? And what's the estimated length of the travel trailer you want?

reindeerman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 & 2002
Engine
1st - If the ball is the same size your good to go, only problem might be if the tongue heights are different, in that case swap out to your standard as adjusting the ball height on a weight distribution is a *****.
2nd - It will make some difference at 2,500 and take the bounce out, but will also make the ride in the truck much stiffer
3rd - The general rule is not to go more than one weight rating size up. Should not be a problem. My trailer empty is about 3,000 and 6,000 loaded. If you stick with a 6K rating should work for both trailers.

billyw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My trailer is about 6k, with 750 - 800 lbs tongue weight. I use the Equal-I-zer brand hitch with 1000 lb bars. It has worked most excellent for my last two trucks. I occasionally use the hitch without the bars on other trailers too.

OP
OP
S

socalledchad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How far are you going to be pulling that travel trailer? And what's the estimated length of the travel trailer you want?

It will see some miles. Some local but looking at like a 2400 mile round trip this year...as far as how long it will be..as small as possible with having what we need. I think 28 would be max..max. most likely I will be looking between 20 and 26

Totesmygoats

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6k max? I wouldn't even bother with a WDH unless you're really having to load down the tongue for some reason.