Weakest Component of Rear Suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Anybody know someone who has had rear suspension/chassis/wheel bearing failure?

I don't know about you guys but whenever I get even close to my payload cap. (1000/1400 lbs) my truck is squatting really badly. This makes me think that the weak link is the springs because it squats so readily, but I was wondering if anyone has had issues with any other components in the rear, or has insight on what the weak link is.

Last edited:

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
they do squat very easy when loaded up.

TLC John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006 RAM 1500
Engine
Hemi
We are a site sponsor and have the answer - Total Load Control™ Air Suspension.

Levels the load and improves steering, handling and safety.

Our system uses 9" Goodyear Air Springs - the largest used on any full-size truck.

Keeps your truck flat around curves too.

Easy to install.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

John

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I know that my 10 ply tires are cupping already after 8000 miles. I tow a camp trailer that is within the 7500 lb tow rating and my front tires are cupped on the outside edge and rear tires cupped on the inside edge. It makes sense when you see how it sets with the trailer hooked up but I probably should have bought a three quarter ton. I hope I wont be experiencing any suspension problems too.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
tlc

Are these made for the 2009 1500? Do you install them only on the rear? What kind of price are they?
thanks

OP
OP
jlb

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
I am interested in a set of air bags for the rear, that is definitely on my list of desired upgrades. The problem is, once you add them you get a little more let's say, confident, when putting stuff in the back.

I am curious what the next weakest link is after you bottom out your springs basically. Probably not the rims, they are pretty heavy aluminum, not the tires as the load rating for those is clearly demarcated on the sides. Perhaps that axle housing itself where it has to transmit forces to the axle shaft? Perhaps the bearings that transmit the load to the shaft? Maybe even the shaft itself?

See what I am getting at here? Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of having the air bladders a lot, but I want to know if push comes to shove what kind of parts failure is expected, and at what level of weight?

h2oman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I put the Airlift 1000's in. Cured all my problems.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Guys he understands what airbags do. He wants to know what is going to fail. This is not a thread of "what will solve my excessive sag"

Gone-broke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Bearings and shafts makes sense, maybe also the ujoint , depending on pinion angle..

Regardless though, if you're gonna carry at max payload, airbags would be more for safety and stability..

Sent while driving...

hounddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 laramie 2500 credit cab 4x4 cummins
Engine
6.7 Cummins
they do squat very easy when loaded up.

You should pay attention to the Fraud F-250. To get it to ride nicer than the Ram2500 they took out a long leaf from the spring pack.

Now, they squat like a half ton with very little weight. They might ride nicely, but they are no longer work trucks.

Look at this- specifically the first couple tests between the Chevy and the Fraud.

Chevy vs. Ford HD Truck - Bed Bend Video - YouTube

You will notice, however, they neglect to show the results of the same test between the Chevy and the Rams. ;)

Last edited:

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
You should pay attention to the Fraud F-250. To get it to ride nicer than the Ram2500 they took out a long leaf from the spring pack.

Now, they squat like a half ton with very little weight. They might ride nicely, but they are no longer work trucks.

Look at this- specifically the first couple tests between the Chevy and the Fraud.

Chevy vs. Ford HD Truck - Bed Bend Video - YouTube

You will notice, however, they neglect to show the results of the same test between the Chevy and the Rams. ;)

I have watched nearly all of these and I notice they just pick and choose what they show you. I just don't feel the tests are genuine.

$miley

OP
OP
jlb

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
I am just thinking that I am currently hauling/towing at/near payload capacity quite a bit. I pull an 18ft enclosed trailer on the weekends with two custom race cars jammed in there, as well as a **** load of gear in the back of my truck, and 3 or 4 buddies in the cab. All in all, I am sure I am technically "over-weight," and the truck squats like none other.

I definitely want to do air bags, I have had them on trucks in the past (05 3500 ctd, 03 3500 srw ctd, 85 chev 3/4 ton) so I know how awesome they are, but I also know I can still put a 4500 lb payload on my 85 chev and it looks fine (but we all know it is not lol).

As a result I am curious if I should consider swapping out my rear axle (the whole thing) then I could consider running better gears :naughty:, as long as I can find a match for the front, and increase the life of my rear axle (I doubt the frame is going to be the failure point lol).

Looking for input lol, and I know I would probably have to fab up spring mounting points, but that is the easy part, just make them up in pro-e, and send them out for manufacture.

Or I could swap in different bearings, or if the rest of the components are somewhat overbuilt then I will just do airbags, and not worry about it.

Just don't want those airbags to create a false sense of security you know? :)

Last edited:

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I have had to replace drive shaft ujoints but all the rest seems very very tough. I am not nice to my truck when it comes to driving hard I drive fast and ask it to perform even when towing. I could not believe the ujoints were trash after 40k. I have about 10k on these ones so far so good.

$miley

Trupiano

Reaction score
Hometown : Puyallup,WA Stationed : Little Rock,
Ram Year
2010 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD Crew Cab
Engine
6.7L CTD
I am just thinking that I am currently hauling/towing at/near payload capacity quite a bit. I pull an 18ft enclosed trailer on the weekends with two custom race cars jammed in there, as well as a **** load of gear in the back of my truck, and 3 or 4 buddies in the cab. All in all, I am sure I am technically "over-weight," and the truck squats like none other.

I definitely want to do air bags, I have had them on trucks in the past (05 3500 ctd, 03 3500 srw ctd, 85 chev 3/4 ton) so I know how awesome they are, but I also know I can still put a 4500 lb payload on my 85 chev and it looks fine (but we all know it is not lol).

As a result I am curious if I should consider swapping out my rear axle (the whole thing) then I could consider running better gears :naughty:, as long as I can find a match for the front, and increase the life of my rear axle (I doubt the frame is going to be the failure point lol).

Looking for input lol, and I know I would probably have to fab up spring mounting points, but that is the easy part, just make them up in pro-e, and send them out for manufacture.

Or I could swap in different bearings, or if the rest of the components are somewhat overbuilt then I will just do airbags, and not worry about it.

Just don't want those airbags to create a false sense of security you know? :)

My opinion... as you said. If you want to up your payload capacity, (I don't know if you can really do this, probably not) best idea would be bigger rear axle, different gearing, air bag suspension, and possibly a driveshaft/u-joint upgrade.