Weigh-Safe, first impressions (not towed yet)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

opie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here we go...

This is the top of the insert that goes into the receiver. The 2 dimples on the (photo orientation) top and bottom are indentations from the insert moving around in the receiver... You can also see at the left of the picture the actual contact area

20160527_193751_zpso6ubit4z.jpg

This is the bottom of the insert. The distinct line is actually a groove where the inserts rides on the edge of the receiver opening.

20160527_193800_zps0cugqgr5.jpg

The stamped rating on the insert..

20160527_193819_zpsgrvopmvx.jpg

Next to the Reese Titan for comparison...

20160527_194517_zpsueg7913i.jpg

The heaviest thing my weigh safe has hauled is my empty dump trailer. 4000 pounds. And it only did it once. Ive pulled my 5x10 utility trailer a total of 3 times with maybe 1000 pounds on the trailer. I would expect a hitch of this financial commitment to not show this kind of wear with such little use.

OP
OP
U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Here we go...

This is the top of the insert that goes into the receiver. The 2 dimples on the (photo orientation) top and bottom are indentations from the insert moving around in the receiver... You can also see at the left of the picture the actual contact area

20160527_193751_zpso6ubit4z.jpg

This is the bottom of the insert. The distinct line is actually a groove where the inserts rides on the edge of the receiver opening.

20160527_193800_zps0cugqgr5.jpg

The stamped rating on the insert..

20160527_193819_zpsgrvopmvx.jpg

Next to the Reese Titan for comparison...

20160527_194517_zpsueg7913i.jpg

The heaviest thing my weigh safe has hauled is my empty dump trailer. 4000 pounds. And it only did it once. Ive pulled my 5x10 utility trailer a total of 3 times with maybe 1000 pounds on the trailer. I would expect a hitch of this financial commitment to not show this kind of wear with such little use.

Thank you for the pics. Looks like that ball mount would be more benefitial with one of thouse "slack adjusters.In hindsight, I think all of the "damage" done to the weigh safe is superficial in my opinion but it is still somthing that would bother me a little, apperance wise only.

Just curoius, if you originally needed a drop ball mount for your truck how are you towing with such a small drop in the forged steel ball mount?

derag2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Aluminum on steel...... Steel wins everytime... The steel will wear down the aluminum

opie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you for the pics. Looks like that ball mount would be more benefitial with one of thouse "slack adjusters.In hindsight, I think all of the "damage" done to the weigh safe is superficial in my opinion but it is still somthing that would bother me a little, apperance wise only.

I'm sure you're right.

Just curoius, if you originally needed a drop ball mount for your truck how are you towing with such a small drop in the forged steel ball mount?

My small trailer sits pretty low. So I needed a drop for that. My dump trailer sits considerably taller and has an adjustable coupler.

opie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm seeing the same wear marks on both shanks, likely normal. So what is the beef?

http://www.ramforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=72093&stc=1&d=1464430509

The "wear" on the weigh safe is an actual deformation of the shank. The "wear" on the Reese is just the coating.

Theres really no "Beef." I'm am simply expressing my thoughts on the weigh safe insert because I have one. I am not trying to talk anyone into or out of it. I'm not bashing it. Ive expressed what I do like about the insert.

In fact, I just used it this morning to try to go pick up a bed edger at the local rental yard. Guy pulled the rope out "showing" me how to start it and then said his "tech" wouldn't be in for a couple hours. I was close to asking for a 10mm ratchet and socket and fixing it right there because I was all set to edge our beds and get them mulched.

But I digress....

Using the hitch reminded me of how sloppy it is in the receiver. Now listen to what I am about to say because I guess this could be considered "The Beef." This thing cost $300 and is basically machined from a single piece of aluminum. There is 0 reason they could not tweak the CNC program to have the insert fit a little tighter in the receiver. I believe if the fit was a bit more snug, the "wear" on mine would likely not be present. The longer the drop the more pronounced the slop is.

Would you like a short video clip of just how sloppy it is in the receiver?

OP
OP
U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
The "wear" on the weigh safe is an actual deformation of the shank. The "wear" on the Reese is just the coating.

Theres really no "Beef." I'm am simply expressing my thoughts on the weigh safe insert because I have one. I am not trying to talk anyone into or out of it. I'm not bashing it. Ive expressed what I do like about the insert.

In fact, I just used it this morning to try to go pick up a bed edger at the local rental yard. Guy pulled the rope out "showing" me how to start it and then said his "tech" wouldn't be in for a couple hours. I was close to asking for a 10mm ratchet and socket and fixing it right there because I was all set to edge our beds and get them mulched.

But I digress....

Using the hitch reminded me of how sloppy it is in the receiver. Now listen to what I am about to say because I guess this could be considered "The Beef." This thing cost $300 and is basically machined from a single piece of aluminum. There is 0 reason they could not tweak the CNC program to have the insert fit a little tighter in the receiver. I believe if the fit was a bit more snug, the "wear" on mine would likely not be present. The longer the drop the more pronounced the slop is.

I agree with you that they have infinite ability to change the outside dimensions of the shake so they fit in the receiver better

opie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So looking at their website I was noticing the shaft length behind the pin hole. It looks as if they have indeed increased the length.

WS8-2.5.jpg

Mine measures 7 3/4" total length on the shank and just under 2" from the center of the pin hole to the back. Looks like they addressed what my issue with the hitch is and its probably how they got a higher rating.

I may send them my images and thoughts and see what else they have modified in the design. If they built the slop out of the shank it would be an ideal receiver insert.

opie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just shot a message off to Weigh-Safe with a link to this thread.

Totesmygoats

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is neat, but you can tell the tongue weight just by checking how much the truck squats. The 10% thing is only a rule of thumb, it doesn't need to be adhered to precisely, and depending on how heavy you load can be nearly thrown out.

This thing does give me an engineering ***** though.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
This is neat, but you can tell the tongue weight just by checking how much the truck squats. The 10% thing is only a rule of thumb, it doesn't need to be adhered to precisely, and depending on how heavy you load can be nearly thrown out.

This thing does give me an engineering ***** though.

Not true for everyone, a 2500 isn't going to squat as much as a 1500 and a 3500 even less. Then consider the 2500 and 3500s with the rear air leveling systems, there is no squat.

Tongue weight is about trailer towing safety and driveability. If the downward force applied to the tow vehicle from the trailer's tongue is too light trailer sway could result. If the tongue weight is too heavy, the steering of the tow vehicle will be affected. Improper tongue weight also allows transmittal from the trailer to the tow vehicle and vice-versa from bumps in the roadway. The trailer is the lever and the trailer's axle(s) are the fulcrum.

Last edited:

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins

If you have time, I'd like to compare it to what I'm experiencing. As your other posts suggests, there were design changes and dimension changes made between our purchases.

Totesmygoats

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not true for everyone, a 2500 isn't going to squat as much as a 1500 and a 3500 even less. Then consider the 2500 and 3500s with the rear air leveling systems, there is no squat.

Tongue weight is about trailer towing safety and driveability. If the downward force applied to the tow vehicle from the trailer's tongue is too light trailer sway could result. If the tongue weight is too heavy, the steering of the tow vehicle will be affected. Improper tongue weight also allows transmittal from the trailer to the tow vehicle and vice-versa from bumps in the roadway. The trailer is the lever and the trailer's axle(s) are the fulcrum.

I'm aware of why tongue weight is important. I didn't say "just load it till it drops and inch" I said you can tell tongue weight by looking at squat. It might not be the same between all trucks, but with each truck it will be.

Maybe I just have more resources then most, but it takes me about 10 minutes to correlate and catalog various tongue weights to squat in a new truck.

Also, the air suspension can be temporarily disabled to facilitate this, which I just did yesterday when I towed 8k in my 1500. Although that is a good point as it has much more utility with an autoleveling air suspension then a truck with metal springs.

opie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you have time, I'd like to compare it to what I'm experiencing. As your other posts suggests, there were design changes and dimension changes made between our purchases.
I'll see about getting it tonight or tomorrow morning.

Sent from a field

Totesmygoats

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's pretty loose. And I can't believe you have a 300$ hitch on there without a pin lock.

Last edited:

derag2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
That's a Lot of slop.....that's worse than using a 2inch with the adaptor....

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
Wow, not good.

opie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's pretty loose. And I can't believe you have a 300$ hitch on their without a pin lock.
Funny story.

I bought one of those locking pins. It was maybe 4 months old before the lock cylinder froze and I broke a key off in it. I had to drill it out.

I don't leave inserts in anymore unless I'm using them. That way I don't have to worry about anyone stealing it.

Sent from a field

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye