Weight distributing hitch and air bags together

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bspink

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hello,
I've had a weight distributing hitch on an older truck with leaf springs and was very happy with how they worked. I've been researching air bags for my 2012 1500 to compliment a weight distributing hitch. What (if any) are the advantages of having both a weight distributing hitch and air bags?

Thanks,
Bob

maxx442

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500
Engine
6.7 H.O.
They worked well together on my 2015 Ecodiesel. I adjusted the WDH for proper axle weight distribution and the aired up the bags just enough to level the truck out nicely. I used Timber Grove bags and they were awesome. You can adjust the air pressure while loaded. Firestone brand, and some of the other "in the coil" bags, have to be adjusted prior to loading or they will be damaged.

ddetta88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just installed airbags and have a weight distribution hitch for my travel trailer but haven't towed it yet or re adjusted the hitch or anything so I am interested in this topic

My buddy uses airbags with his and says it makes a huge difference

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

EJR_3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I have both, and from my experience it varies on your setup.

My first trailer was a 18' open car trailer. It squatted when loaded and my TLC bags leveled out the truck when I air them up. Total weight was under 5k lbs so a WDH wasn't needed.

With my new 24' enclosed trailer with loaded and WDH set up, my truck doesn't sag. This with my bags deflated to the minimum pressure. The WDH (should) distribute some of the weight to the front axle to level the ride out.

So my advice is, one or the other could do the job depending on your setup. It also doesn't hurt to have both, especially if you use your truck for multiple things. If your WDH is correctly matched with your TW, you should be solid.

tim57

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
I tow a small toyhauler 21' 6000# loaded about 700# tongue whgt. I use a WD set up with built in sway control in the torsion arms. My power wagon has linear springs, so any payload will effect it differently than progressive springs. I have added air bags to help keep my truck level when towing or hauling, and still have factory ride when not inflated. Had to do some custom fab to get my set up to work with cradles to not lose articulation when off road. I would however caution anyone adding airbags to tow or haul over max the max GVWR of their vehicle.

OP
OP
B

bspink

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the comments. I think it's safe to say WDH will do a majority of the job but the air bags will help with any sag and I would guess make the ride better.

The price of air bags isn't a deal-breaker so I'll probably go with both to increase the safety factor.

Cheers,
Bob

911ems

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I like my airlift 1000s for the price. If I could afford it I would of gone with the 5000s though. The 1000s still help though.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Thanks for the comments. I think it's safe to say WDH will do a majority of the job but the air bags will help with any sag and I would guess make the ride better.

The price of air bags isn't a deal-breaker so I'll probably go with both to increase the safety factor.

Cheers,
Bob

Smart move Bob. You need a wdh. The wdh transfers weight back onto the front axle of the truck and also helps tie truck snd trailer together so to speak which will help with trailer sway. Bags alone will do nothing for sway.

Bags to help level the truck with wdh is a good combination. Buy a gooo wdh with built in away control like an equalizer or something along those lines. Good luck

cbsmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Air bags do nothing to transfer weight back to the front axle. They will lift the rear up and make it look level but don't add any more weight back on to the front end. A WDH is used to trasnfer the weight back to the front, and if properly set up,there should be very little sag on the back as it should compress the front and rear suspension close to equally.

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You don't need airbags if the WDH is set up properly. There will not be any sag, but some squat as both front and rear will ride lower.

Airbags become more useful when the trailer is incompatible with a WDH (light weight trailers), you have widely differing payloads from time to time, towing light and don't want to spend the time to set up a WDH.. but mostly useful when hauling without a trailer in tow.

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED
Depending on the tongue weight & or what you additionally have in the bed, axle to frame bags (TLC, Timbergrove, Air Lift) can be a great compliment to even the best WDH. Not just for leveling but more for better suspension support control & dampening. Even helps to absorb NVH noise vibrations harshness.

Nice controlled smooth comfortable ride for truck & trailer even with a heavy load & especially on rough roads or terrain. Rain wash out dips on a campground gravel road with a bed load & heavy TT is a good example. No wallowing.

I've had both axles near max at around 7,800 combined and it still handled the load well.

I like TLC for the larger bags, less pressure to carry the load is the smoothest & best control. No bounce. 15 to 20 psi will carry as much as you should put on half ton axles. But Timbergrove has the best prices & is well known for customer service.