what does the towing package add?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
so I'm sure this has been asked before in one form or another but what does the towing package add? I have 2014 ram 1500 4x4 express. with towing package. There was NO hitch receiver, no trailer brake and as far as I can tell no bigger brakes. I think all rams are wired for the trailer plug. I can't tell if there's an auxiliary transmission cooler. I've figured out I have a 3.55 rear end not 4.10.

Not sure it adds anything but $$$ to the sticker.

GreenClassic

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 2015 Big Horn has the tow package. I have a hitch, trailer brake controller, and tow mirrors.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Look on the right side of the window sticker and see if those options were deleted for a credit. I saw a lot of trucks with options deleted on the actual options side of the window sticker. My truck has the trailer brake and receiver hitch. I have the 3:92 LSD diff and the 8 speed. but I have the sport mirrors.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
i have a 2013 express with tow package and have the receiver, plug, and 3.55s. i guess i have the trans cooler but never verified. i do not have tow mirrors or trailer brakes. i pull my 8000-8500lb boat with no problems and trans and oil temps are fine

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Here is what the build sheet options are through TrueCar. The first one is for an Express package, the second is the Big Horn package. Not sure why there is a price difference... I'm guessing due to the trim level options that are automatically added.

Attachments

• RamCapture.jpg
    RamCapture.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 271
  • RamCapture2.jpg
    RamCapture2.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 182

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Look on the right side of the window sticker and see if those options were deleted for a credit. I saw a lot of trucks with options deleted on the actual options side of the window sticker. .

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This

RodRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
My 15, said it had trailer package with hitch, HD trans and oil coolers, and rear combo plug for plugging in trailer light plugs it does not have trailer brake setup.

crash_eco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
My 15, said it had trailer package with hitch, HD trans and oil coolers, and rear combo plug for plugging in trailer light plugs it does not have trailer brake setup.

my 14 came like that too.

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7

i believe that's all it adds except the trailer electrical connections which i believe are standard on all trims these days. seem to remember when i was looking tow mirrors were a separate option

Batram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
When I bought my '13, the tow mirrors and brake controller were extras even with the tow package. But I believe at the time they called it a 'trailer prep package' which sort of opens them up to charge for whatever they want. I think it basically only included the hitch receiver and electrical wiring (possibly bigger brakes and coolers but not sure).

OP
OP
R

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'll have to dig out my window sticker. pretty much must have deleted everything for credit in the tow package for my 14 express since I don't have any fancy mirrors/lit mirrors, hitch receiver or anything else. I hope I atleast go the trans and oil cooler.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The fancy mirrors are not available on the express.

S.Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was wondering what i had as far as a tow package as well, dealer said it had everything, im not sure what everything is because im away at work but ill look when i get home. I do have the reciever, not sure what class, the trailer tow mirrors that flip up, the brake controller and the 4 and 7 pin plugs.

CherryRed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Get the VIN from your truck, go to this web site -> https://ram.custhelp.com/ Click on Equipment Listing, enter your truck's VIN in the appreate box and click on Search. This will give you a copy of the build sheet for your truck.

My 2014 Big Horn has the "trailer Tow" package. This included a class VI hitch and 4/7 pin wiring & connectors. It did not include a brake controller or tow mirrors. I added a Mopar brake controler later (plug-n-play then get programmed by dealer). The build sheet for my truck also lists Heavy Duty Transmission Cooler and Heavy Duty Engine Cooling, but does not say if this is connected to the trailer tow package.

hunter99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My '13 was setup like RodRam described earlier in the thread. I looked at my window sticker and it said trailer prep package. The hitch was extra, go figure. I did some digging and on the '13 this was the HD tranny cooler, Oil cooler, trailer wiring and plugs, and heavy duty alternator. I added the trailer brake controller after the fact.

chris1965

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 14 has tow mirrors and I hate them. it is really hard to deal with them mirrors flipped in because of that aspheric small extra mirror. in the normal mirror you see nothing, where you would see a car right side behind you and the little mirror looks like the car, which sits right at your butt is 500 feet away. I always turn around before switching lanes. yes- I hate it and I would not buy them anymore. I try to find some mirrors of the size but without this split mirror. other than that- I love the truck and the tow package which was a have to.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
My 14 has tow mirrors and I hate them. it is really hard to deal with them mirrors flipped in because of that aspheric small extra mirror. in the normal mirror you see nothing, where you would see a car right side behind you and the little mirror looks like the car, which sits right at your butt is 500 feet away. I always turn around before switching lanes. yes- I hate it and I would not buy them anymore. I try to find some mirrors of the size but without this split mirror. other than that- I love the truck and the tow package which was a have to.

I love mine. the small convex mirror is great with the HUGE blind spots in these trucks... Not to be a ****, but have you tried adjusting them differently?

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I don't believe there has been a "towing package" for several years, other than the salesperson's snake-oil or lack of knowledge. On my '13, i have a "TRAILER TOW MIRROR AND BRAKE CONTROL GROUP" which consists of the following:
Power Black Trailer Tow Mirrors w/Manual Fold Away
Black Exterior Mirrors
Exterior Mirrors with Turn Signals
Exterior Mirrors with Courtesy Lamps
Exterior Mirrors with Heating Element
Trailer Tow Mirrors
Trailer Brake Control

In addition my build sheet calls out:
XFHP Class IV Receiver Hitch
XFKS 7 Pin Wiring Harness
XFUS Trailer Tow w/4-Pin Connector Wiring
which I believe are standard to most models.

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
It adds cost to the price of the truck, in addition it adds more FCA crappy parts that will also fail prematurely. could not help myself

S.Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just looked into mine and its not really called a tow package but stuff that was added on, it has heavy duty engine and transmission cooling, factory trailer brake, flip up tow mirrors, class IV hitch, 4 and 7 pin connectors, and whatever else could be added, also raised ride height, whatever that is.