What size drop for hitch?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hemihog6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I bought a 2500 it has 35" tires and is leveled how do I figure the amount of drop hitch for towing?

muzupan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram1500 Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought a 2500 it has 35" tires and is leveled how do I figure the amount of drop hitch for towing?

Measure from the ground to the top of your coupler, then measure to the top of the hitch ball. They need to have the same height. From there you can see how much drop you need.

OP
OP
H

Hemihog6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I should have stated I don't have the trailer yet, buying a boat so I need to get my hitch before I can pick it up

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Can't base hitch height just off the truck. Trailer setup is a big factor. Ball mount could be inline, on top or even below the tongue. Trailer design and tire size are also critical. You are best off with an adjustable unit. Here is the one I use, accommodates 95% of my trailering. Hitch

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Buy a 6" or 8" adjustable drop hitch along with a Convert-a-Ball with all three ball sizes and you'll be covered for just about everything.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
I had 35s on my 2500 and ran a 2" drop, not saying it would be perfect but I would think it would be close.
That worked well on my boat and car trailer.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Most 2500 4wds require a 4in for most common trailers with that being said with 35s you'll probably want a 5in ish. I run a 2in drop on my 1500 2wd most of the time. I have a adjustable high but havent needed to go lower. Best hitch for you in my mind would be a b&w tow and stow. They offer it in the 2.5in shank and they offer a 4 1/2 in drop or a 7in drop series. Either should handle all of your needs.

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I should have stated I don't have the trailer yet, buying a boat so I need to get my hitch before I can pick it up

You should ask whoever makes or sells you the trailer what ball height is best (top of the ball). Then you can measure your truck's hitch height and do the math. Ideal ball height varies from trailer to trailer, my cargo/motorcycle trailer is 18 inches, so are the UHaul trailers (a six inch drop for my stock 1500 4x4 I think). I dunno whats typical for a boat trailer. Also find out what ball size they want.

Plus or minus an inch is probably OK for short distances, even with tandem torkflex axles. For those axles you want the trailer to be as level as possible as they don't spread the axle load like leaf springs with equalizers. If you are going to be a little off, its more stable if the trailer tongue rides lower.

Last edited: