What trailer brake are you using

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

05christj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
So I will be installing a trailer brake this week, it's all already pre wired and I am looking for somthing plug and play. What brake are yall using on your 1500's besides the factory installed brake.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003CSNCUC/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here's what I have it's a draw tite and I got the toshiba 3021-p wiring adapter I'm pretty happy with it. The biggest thing with aftermarket brake controller is to get a progressive controller I'm not a fan of the time delay controller they are cheeper but they only deliver same amount of power to the trailer the progressive controller have a acceloromiter in them and senses how fast the truck is slowing down and adjusts the power accordingly. I purchased the draw tite for the price and I'm.pretty happy with it, most like the Toshiba p3's. As someone that has had both factory on my 14 and a aftermarket on the 10 I liked the factory for the fact of clean install otherwise the aftermarket works just as good imo. I installed mine similar to this I'm not by my truck or I would take a pic I didn't want to drill holes in my dash so my controller is little low but I can still reach it, I don't tow all the time so it's no biggie and it's out of the way don't ever bump it except for parking brake from time to time.

Attachments

• images-8.jpg
    images-8.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 203

PippinAin'tEasy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I love a rousing rendition of the Prodigy Chorus. All together now. And a 1 and a 2 and a......

"Oh, sweet debt. Thy name is Truck."

OP
OP

05christj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003CSNCUC/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here's what I have it's a draw tite and I got the toshiba 3021-p wiring adapter I'm pretty happy with it. The biggest thing with aftermarket brake controller is to get a progressive controller I'm not a fan of the time delay controller they are cheeper but they only deliver same amount of power to the trailer the progressive controller have a acceloromiter in them and senses how fast the truck is slowing down and adjusts the power accordingly. I purchased the draw tite for the price and I'm.pretty happy with it, most like the Toshiba p3's. As someone that has had both factory on my 14 and a aftermarket on the 10 I liked the factory for the fact of clean install otherwise the aftermarket works just as good imo. I installed mine similar to this I'm not by my truck or I would take a pic I didn't want to drill holes in my dash so my controller is little low but I can still reach it, I don't tow all the time so it's no biggie and it's out of the way don't ever bump it except for parking brake from time to time.

So i ordered the controller that the link took me to and it looks nothing like yours. No biggie, so do i just plug it in and it works? Nothing to do under the hood?

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The one in his picture is a Tekonsha Prodigy P3. I have this controller. I love it. It can be fine tuned to each trailer you have and has a bunch of diagnostic information like voltages and amperage loads. You can get it with the plug and play harness from Amazon for like 120 bucks. I was hesitant to get it because it is a little more expensive than some others but it's worth every penny. One of my favorite things I've added to the truck, and I don't even tow that frequently.

You will still need the dodge wiring adapter for the brake controller you ordered.

Last edited:

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
The one in the pic is a prodigy I was out of town and away from my truck, I was just trying to show were I mounted mine. I'm back I I got a pic of mine intalled.

Attachments

• 20160607_210149.jpg
    20160607_210149.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I used the Toshiba 3021-P wiring adapter and it plug and play no flashing nothing. Unroll you have a trailer hooked up it show n.c. and will stay that way untill you took a trailer up. Just read through the instructions how how to set the boost whitch is a pretty nice feature. Here is a pic of the harness hooked up and pluged in.

Attachments

• 20160607_210220.jpg
    20160607_210220.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 57

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
The one in his picture is a Tekonsha Prodigy P3. I have this controller. I love it. It can be fine tuned to each trailer you have and has a bunch of diagnostic information like voltages and amperage loads. You can get it with the plug and play harness from Amazon for like 120 bucks. I was hesitant to get it because it is a little more expensive than some others but it's worth every penny. One of my favorite things I've added to the truck, and I don't even tow that frequently.

You will still need the dodge wiring adapter for the brake controller you ordered.

The Toshiba 3021-p harness adapter works for the draw tite.

avolnek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 CCLB
Engine
Factory is the best I have used. Worth the money.

Then you havent used any good trailer brake controllers...

Prodigy P2 or P3 are the best in the industry in my opinion. The convenience of having factory installed brake controller is nice but honestly in my 2500 i dont much care for it. It works but seems the Prodigy line up did a much better job of matching my braking efforts in my previous trucks on the same trailers...

just my opinion...

fredansandy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
+1 for the Tekonsha Prodigy P3. It is by far the best brake controller I have used.

I recommend eTrailer.com to purchase towing accessories. They are very knowledgeable, helpful, and have a lot of informational articles and videos to assist with the installation.

2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Tekonsha P3 w/ Adapter Cable

Attachments

• 20160425_170848.jpg
    20160425_170848.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 66

Jackfate

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
P3 is the top of the line and well worth the price . Have a p1 also . 18 years on P1 still going like new . Before these had a Reese badged unit it was clunky

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser

skidozer67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi5.7
Originally Posted by fredansandy View Post
+1 for the Tekonsha Prodigy P3. It is by far the best brake controller I have used.

I recommend eTrailer.com to purchase towing accessories. They are very knowledgeable, helpful, and have a lot of informational articles and videos to assist with the installation.

I use the same on my lease truck, I only tow local maybe once a month in the summer it works great. I located mine in the sliding drawer under the radio so its out of my way unless I need it. I just pull out the drawer put it on a bracket I made and Im on my way in less than 1 min.