Why doesn't anyone use air shocks to level suspension when towing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnnyjet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Monroe makes air shocks for the Ram 1500 and I was just curious as to why there are no install threads or any review threads. Seems to me to be an easy, cheap,solution to level the truck out.

oe542bob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi eTorque 5.7
Although I haven't looked under the Ram 1500, typically the mounting points are not designed to be load bearing. Thus when you would pump up air shocks to carry the added weight, you may have a structural failure.
Many years ago, many guys would buy air shocks to lift the back of muscle cars and that is what I'm basing this on.

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think, when you are towing heavy enough to squat the truck, one should go to a Weight Distribution Hitch (WDH), and that will distribute the trailer weight between the axles and safely level the truck. Air shocks for leveling may cause rear axle overload as most of the trailer weight would be picked up there. There are guys that augment with air bag 1000s, however, which are pretty simple to install.

The guys that hang out in the Towing and Hauling section would provide better answers. Towing & Hauling - DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums This tread may be moved there shortly anyway.

BlkZrx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 SLT Std. cab
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I once asked my mechanic about air shocks on a 1/2 ton chevy, he told me they couldn't because it screwed up the ABS braking on newer vehicles, per the shock manufacturer..

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Monroe makes air shocks for the Ram 1500 and I was just curious as to why there are no install threads or any review threads. Seems to me to be an easy, cheap,solution to level the truck out.

air shocks ride like crap, imo. shocks are not meant carry loads. air bags are a cheaper and better solution, which is why more people use them.

socalledchad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Which ones did you get...I recommend the air lift 1000 for about 85 bucks if you aren't pulling something huge...I pull a 7x14 enclosed about 4 k sometimes...dropped around 5 inches before the bags. ..about an inch after

Enscheff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I went with these air bags:

09'-15' RAM 1500

They bolt directly onto the bump stop cups, and they don't have the crappy plastic air hose connectors that are common with most air bags.