Why is the R/T towing so low?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have a 2014 R/T with the eight speed. The towing capacity is a little over 5,000lb compared to the full size 1500s with towing capacites over 10,000lbs.

As near as I can tell, the R/T should actually have better towing capacity than the other trucks. The suspension is virtually the same, it's lighter so it can have more weight before reaching its maximum gross vehicle weight. It has a higher gear ratio so it has more torque. In fact, the only reason that I can see to explain why the R/T tow rating is a little more than half of the other trucks is that it has the 22" wheels.

Can anyone confirm this?

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have a 2014 R/T with the eight speed. The towing capacity is a little over 5,000lb compared to the full size 1500s with towing capacites over 10,000lbs.

As near as I can tell, the R/T should actually have better towing capacity than the other trucks. The suspension is virtually the same, it's lighter so it can have more weight before reaching its maximum gross vehicle weight. It has a higher gear ratio so it has more torque. In fact, the only reason that I can see to explain why the R/T tow rating is a little more than half of the other trucks is that it has the 22" wheels.

Can anyone confirm this?

There is a lot of things that go into towing capacity listed. I would be it has a LOT to do with the 22's, the wheelbase, and the absence of the trailer wiring, receiver, etc. They won't list a tow rating that high in the literature if the truck does not have the proper OEM equipment to handle it.

Unless of course the R/T has that equipment or at least the option to add that equipment when ordering. If that's the case, my argument is invalid.

OP
OP
Dubstep Shep

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
There is a lot of things that go into towing capacity listed. I would be it has a LOT to do with the 22's, the wheelbase, and the absence of the trailer wiring, receiver, etc. They won't list a tow rating that high in the literature if the truck does not have the proper OEM equipment to handle it.

Unless of course the R/T has that equipment or at least the option to add that equipment when ordering. If that's the case, my argument is invalid.

My R/T came with a Class IV hitch and the 7pin/4Pin connector. It didn't come with the towing package but I thought all that gets you is mirrors and the trailer brake controller.

The thing is, a Regular cab Sport 4x4, which is essentially the 4x4 version of the R/T with a lower gear ratio has a towing capacity of like 9,000lbs, and its a 4x4, meaning it should be lower than a 4x2. But it has the 20" wheels.

Last edited:

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My R/T came with a Class IV hitch and the 7pin/4Pin connector. I didn't come with the towing package but I thought all that gets you is mirrors and the trailer brake controller.

The thing is, a Regular cab Sport 4x4, which is essentially the 4x4 version of the R/T with a lower gear ratio has a towing capacity of like 9,000lbs, and its a 4x4, meaning it should be lower than a 4x2. But it has the 20" wheels.

Then the only thing I can really think of is marketing. They figure the guys buying R/Ts aren't doing it to tow. The 22's definitely hurt your final ratio, but by that much? I dunno. Need a math guy to figure that out :roflsquared:
I don't think the tow option gets you any more than you listed- I believe the HD cooling and all associated goodies are standard now, but I may be wrong.

The gear ratio in your R/T is 4.10, so that thing could move an apartment block if you could get it on wheels.

So... marketing is the only thing I can think of.

BoldAdventure

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My build sheet says HD Cooling as part of the "tow package".

Maybe a larger transmission cooler is another factor. I'm sure the wheels are also a part of it.

Payload is determined by subtracting Unloaded Vehicle Weight from the GVWR.

Since all the 1500's are GVWRed at 6900lbs - whatever your truck weights with a full tank and 150lb driver.

I don't think it's marketing. It wouldn't make sense to exclude something that would be another plus.

Last edited:

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Then the only thing I can really think of is marketing. They figure the guys buying R/Ts aren't doing it to tow. The 22's definitely hurt your final ratio, but by that much? I dunno. Need a math guy to figure that out :roflsquared:
I don't think the tow option gets you any more than you listed- I believe the HD cooling and all associated goodies are standard now, but I may be wrong.

The gear ratio in your R/T is 4.10, so that thing could move an apartment block if you could get it on wheels.

So... marketing is the only thing I can think of.

I thought the '14R/T had 3.92s? It's essentially a wheels & appearance package now, versus the '09-'12 which had 4.10s and a higher stall TC.
I'd bet the overall tire diameter is 33" or less, making it effectively just a heavier 20" setup- not sure the load rating though.

OP
OP
Dubstep Shep

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I doubt the final drive is affected much by the 22" wheels. If it is, it's offset far more by the 3.92 gears, which is what the '14 R/T trucks come with now. I don't know about a higher stall torque converter though.

My guess is the load rating on the tires and wheels compared to the 20" wheels. There's a lot less sidewall to play around with on these.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I doubt the final drive is affected much by the 22" wheels. If it is, it's offset far more by the 3.92 gears, which is what the '14 R/T trucks come with now. I don't know about a higher stall torque converter though.

My guess is the load rating on the tires and wheels compared to the 20" wheels. There's a lot less sidewall to play around with on these.

This.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not to say there aren't a few 22" LT tires out there if you want to tow. I've been shopping, and have seen'em. $$$$ though.

OP
OP
Dubstep Shep

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Not to say there aren't a few 22" LT tires out there if you want to tow. I've been shopping, and have seen'em. $$$$ though.

Probably not that much more expensive to just pick up a set of used 20" wheels from another truck.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I didn't know the '14s had 3.92. Always thought it was 4.10. So that being said, then only difference is the 22s and the wheelbase. Were it me, I would do as you are thinking... pick up a set of 20's from another truck and be done with it.

OP
OP
Dubstep Shep

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
hahaha I'm not a big fan of 22" wheels anyway. The only real reason for bigger wheels in my mind is bigger brakes, and these trucks don't have that need by any means.

That said, I do love the look for the SRT-10 wheels

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The only real reason for bigger wheels in my mind is bigger brakes, and these trucks don't have that need by any means.

That said, I do love the look for the SRT-10 wheels
Not from the factory they don't, no. But they can. My wife keeps saying "as long as it makes the truck tow better" when I ask about mods. Big brakes would be tough to dispute :naughty:
And yes, I also love chrome SRT10 rims, but even replicas are getting hard to find (in stock).

OP
OP
Dubstep Shep

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Not from the factory they don't, no. But they can. My wife keeps saying "as long as it makes the truck tow better" when I ask about mods. Big brakes would be tough to dispute :naughty:
And yes, I also love chrome SRT10 rims, but even replicas are getting hard to find (in stock).

Short of what Unbroken had on his R/T, I haven't seen much in the world of brakes.

TBH I wouldn't really see the need for any caliper sizes over about four or six pistons, but it would be sweet to have a larger rotor.

I wonder if you could make the new SRT-8 Jeep brakes fit. They're MASSIVE.

OP
OP
Dubstep Shep

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Actually, these aren't bad deals at all.

2012 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Brembo Front Back Calipers w Pads Pins | eBay

2012 2013 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 SRT 8 Brembo Front Back Calipers RH LH | eBay

Worst case scenario you would need to design and fabricate an adapter plate of some kind to attach the brakes to the wheel hub. Best case scenario they bolt right up.

I seriously doubt I'll have any takers, but if someone wants to buy them and ship them to me I'll do the R&D and send you a free set of the adapter plates I come up with as well as the brakes. No guarantees but I doubt it would be very problematic. It should only take a month or two to get it done.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Last edited:

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram R/T
Engine
Actually I ran that set before I put the big brakes on. The 4 piston calipers won't clear an SRT10 wheel so I used their 3 piston caliper instead. It's a very good kit, I actually plan to install it on my 14 here pretty soon. The stock brakes on this crew cab leave a lot to be desired but I don't intend to build an all out truck again so the SSBC stuff will do just fine.

Dub...if you decide you want some SRT10 rep wheels then hit me up. I've been thinking about running some R/T wheels while I search for some OEM SRT10's. We can work out a swap plus cash on my end....your wheels are obviously more valuable than my reps.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My guess would be the 22" tires, the higher stall TC, and the suspension.

While none may be a lot in the way of a difference, put them all together, and you have the reason why it is rated so much less.

BoldAdventure

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Actually I ran that set before I put the big brakes on. The 4 piston calipers won't clear an SRT10 wheel so I used their 3 piston caliper instead. It's a very good kit, I actually plan to install it on my 14 here pretty soon. The stock brakes on this crew cab leave a lot to be desired but I don't intend to build an all out truck again so the SSBC stuff will do just fine.

Dub...if you decide you want some SRT10 rep wheels then hit me up. I've been thinking about running some R/T wheels while I search for some OEM SRT10's. We can work out a swap plus cash on my end....your wheels are obviously more valuable than my reps.

Iv'e been debating the SSBC 3 kit myself. But I have to swap the drums on the Airstream first. But the price is very very attractive.

Also, anyone interested. The 2500 had a rotor that is only a few MM larger, the calipers are the SAME. Both 60mm twin piston. What's different is the mounting bracket from my research. In theory you could use a 2500 bracket, but the mount to the spindle looks different, couldn't find those measurements. To position the caliper to accept the larger rotor and slightly larger pad.

This is the method I used on my trailblazer to upgrade from a 12.50 rotor to the SS 13 inch rotor. Which uses the same caliper, but a larger bracket and larger pad. There is a noticable difference in stopping power.

The one thing I haven't been able to find yet, is someone who sells braided brake lines for the 4th gen dodge ram. That would be my own personal choice for first upgrades.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963