Will my rear end go out?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2012RAMMAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Whats up everyone i have another question will my rear end go out (its not a posi) im going to be hauling alot of stuff everything all day for about 6 months i wanna know if imma have to change the rear end or will it be fine not being posi. FYI imma be hauling around 4 hours from where i live everyday. Any help is appreciated

Musclemckeester

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
IF it goes out, that's what the warranty is for...

But I wouldn't see it going out unless you're towing more than the limit.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
unless your in mud or snow all the time, no worries.

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
If you are towing something that is close to your limit, or even a bit over (as most of us do lol) depending on how many miles are on your truck you might want to consider changing your rear diff fluid somewhere in there, depending of course on the proximity of an interval.

The only reason I suggest this is I have always noticed that the paint starts peeling on my rear diff covers in these trucks (this is my fourth, one second gen, two third gen, all HD CTD though, this is my first 1/2 ton) from the heat. That always made me worry a bit, but i never ended up with a problem, and I would regularly exceed 26k lbs combined weight. I am considering a vaned aluminum diff cover that increases my reservoir size slightly, but since I don't push the 1/2 ton as hard, I am undecided on whether or not it will be an issue.

The fact that it's not a posi is better in this case anyway too as the wear of the clutch packs won't leave any extra sediment in the fluid.

Point is, you are probably fine, trucks are designed for tow/hauling, but it never hurts to know what your fluids look like.

(S.M.R) 101

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Make sure there is fliud in the rear end........... mine is in the shop as we speak having the rear end rebuilt because the dealership didn't check to see if the rear had fliud in it before I drove it off the lot..

But you should be good... after all your driving a Ram right? :D

Nickxxxr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Id be more worried about the trans as well

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Unless you drive abusively or outside the specifications, there is no reason why you should have any issues with the rear end.

My pop's has over 180k on his Ram 1500 w/o a peep from the diffs, about 150k of that is with a travel trailer behind it.