Winch ATV into bed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dan1911

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok so i know this has been discussed on many places on the interwebs, and i have done it successfully with my old G*C.
On the 04 models, they had some pretty hefty anchor points in the front of the bed, then I went to a truck stop and bought a heavy duty ratchet load bar (used to secure cargo in semi truck trailers) and put it between the two anchor points to create some counter pressure. I used some coated cable and some big rings to attach between the two anchor points, and attached the winch directly to the cable and pulled the atv up.

I know some of you are thinking "just drive it up"
And yes, typically I do not have an issue doing so. I know the "back it up to a ditch" thing, and I have decently long, bi fold ramps.
My issue is.... the lady of the house. Sometimes she loads/unloads when I am not home and when we had the G*C it wasnt an issue since she just winched it up... still have an intact window.

The anchor points on the 4th gens seems pretty flimsy and I doubt they can hold the King Quad weight being winched up.

Any thoughts on how to make or secure an anchor point that would allow that much force to be winched in the bed?

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
uhmm drill some holes in the bed that match up with a winch and put some steel bracing under the bed.

Reactions: U&A
OP
OP
D

dan1911

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
uhmm drill some holes in the bed that match up with a winch and put some steel bracing under the bed.

sorry, i guess i failed to explain where the winch was lol.

The winch is on the ATV. Very valid option though, I would prefer not to buy another winch if I can avoid it though.

Im wanting to see if there is a solution where I can attach the ATV winch to the truck that wouldnt damage anything

Neumie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 8a
Angle iron across front bed rail, secured at each side with a strong tie down anchor in middle for winch. Co-workers use this technique. I drive up.

OP
OP
D

dan1911

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Angle iron across front bed rail, secured at each side with a strong tie down anchor in middle for winch. Co-workers use this technique. I drive up.

Are they just securing the angle iron to the factory anchor points in the bed, and im assuming the angle iron is with one side on top of the bed (duh) and the other on the side between the bed and cab?

OP
OP
D

dan1911

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
These are the photos of what i had in the old truck, very sturdy and worked great

Attachments

• IMG_2283.jpg
    IMG_2283.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_2284.jpg
    IMG_2284.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 54

Neumie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 8a
Are they just securing the angle iron to the factory anchor points in the bed, and im assuming the angle iron is with one side on top of the bed (duh) and the other on the side between the bed and cab?

I will take a picture if any are on the lot tomorrow.

OP
OP
D

dan1911

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I will take a picture if any are on the lot tomorrow.

Awesome, thanks! I went to a few different places up here in Fairbanks... But it's slim pickings up here lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neumie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 8a
28624564214_3cf2388202_b.jpg
[/url]image by darren_neuman, on Flickr[/IMG]

This is similar to what I described but has the winch to load equipment without a winch. Same concept though--and it could be prettier that's for sure.

Internet is so hard! lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dan1911

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Image link is broken, maybe it's just me but i cant see it on my phone or computer

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I probably pull your bed off and build some bracing on the side that meets the cab. And have an anchor point come through the center. Most of will be hidden this way, but it will take a lot more work

OP
OP
D

dan1911

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
28624564214_3cf2388202_b.jpg
[/url]image by darren_neuman, on Flickr[/IMG]

This is similar to what I described but has the winch to load equipment without a winch. Same concept though--and it could be prettier that's for sure.

Internet is so hard! lol

Lol could definitely be prettier!
Pretty good concept for sure. If this is a local guy you took a pic of, can you ask how he attached to the stake pocket? Seems he has the plate bracing on the bottom of the winch and im sure that provides quite a bit of support, so i would need to figure out a workaround from that.
Uggghhh.... why couldnt they just put nice beefy anchor points from the factory:angry94:

OP
OP
D

dan1911

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I probably pull your bed off and build some bracing on the side that meets the cab. And have an anchor point come through the center. Most of will be hidden this way, but it will take a lot more work

Initially I thinking maybe it was possible to attach some cables to the frame rails underneath (one on each side), and run them through a small eyelet hole inside the bed where the two cables would meet. I have no idea how this would work or if the force of the cables from the rails would start to shred the metal eyelet

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI

this. and when you dont what the winch there make a cover plate that utilizes the bolt holes. heck you could even put some wing nuts on it for easy on and off.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
or hook a chain for one side to the other on the front tie down points and pull it up the ramps with the winch that is on the front of the 4wheeler.

OP
OP
D

dan1911

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
or hook a chain for one side to the other on the front tie down points and pull it up the ramps with the winch that is on the front of the 4wheeler.

If you look at the pics i posted earlier on my G*C thats exactly what I did, but i had the load bar to provide some counter pressure. The issue with this is, the anchor points in the the 4th gen are just bent at a 90* and have a single spot weld holding them onto some flimsy sheet metal. My old setup worked flawlessly, even in -30* snowy weather lol but I dont think its a safe option since the anchor points are pretty weak

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
honestly idk, you might be over thinking this, the king quad weighs what? 750ish full? not that much going up a ramp rolling rather then dragging dead weight. I say try it the way you had it on the other truck and see what happens hahaha

OP
OP
D

dan1911

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
honestly idk, you might be over thinking this, the king quad weighs what? 750ish full? not that much going up a ramp rolling rather then dragging dead weight. I say try it the way you had it on the other truck and see what happens hahaha

You probably have a point there... the lady says that all time hahaha.
Yea the KQ is about 750 and Im around 170-80, and I have 8ft ramps. Just looking for a more secure way to get up, but yes, im likely over thinking it lol

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi

agreed. you could even rig up a snatch block in the middle and hook the winch cable back to the quad.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You're probably good. The way I'm thinking is the long ramps lessen the force tie downs are seeing when loading by winch - they are not seeing the total weight of the quad and passenger. When you're cruising around with the quad in the back and go over a bridge or cattle guard, you may rise up in your seat for a sec, there is upward force greater than 1g for a small period of time. Or if you take a corner quickly, tie down points on one side of the rig resist all the force. Those tie down points can see 1g, maybe 2g under normal conditions or more while travelling and haven't deformed in my experience.