Winterizing your RV

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mowin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 hemi
With all the new RV owners on the site, just wanted to remind everyone while winterizing, not to forget the outdoor shower, low point drains, and if you have these, washer/dryer hookup and ice maker.

For all of you living in areas where it doesn't get cold. Enjoy the extended camping season...

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Good advice. We don't want any messed up RV systems next spring!

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
I just today took mines in for the 90 warranty service and I told them as long as they have it go ahead and winterize it for the winter but next time I will be doing it myself.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Sometimes she's really ****** me off. Hope it didn't cost to much.

I am into about $500 for the freezing damage. The kitchen sink got it the worst. It actually blew the faucet apart- found the neck on the backend of the bunk which is 12 feet from the sink. The damage from the grid roads is costing me a bit more, but it's a chance to freshen some things up. You know how it goes. Once you start a project and tear into things you always think "might as well fix/replace/upgrade while I am in there".

Hopefully by spring I will have full LED lighting, all new fixtures and a built in dishwasher, rid of the AC and replace with a skylight and a new awning and exterior lighting. Also looking at a battery upgrade and add some LP fittings to the outside to quick-connect our little grill and various other LP appliances we have.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'm in Oregon and the whole winterizing thing is always a tough one. For one I will sometimes use my RV over the winter so I hate to have it totally torn down. And it doesn't really get that cold that often here so I'm always on the fence about doing the full blown winterizing. When it dips below freezing I'll often just put a couple oil radiant heaters inside it to keep the temperature above 50.

I have a pretty slick setup with my RV right outside my kitchen window. One of the RV windows lines up perfectly so I just set a cheap-o dial type thermometer on the RV counter and I can see it from my house kitchen.

When I do the full winterize thing I use an air compressor to city water (on the RV) adapter and it works great. Just turn up the pressure to 40psi and open all the valves one at a time. Pour some anti-freeze down the drains and I'm all good. Oh yeah, have to deal with the water heater too.

As someone who dreams of spending MUCH more time in my RV as I age and work less, I'm hoping to completely forget how to winterize. My RV will be sitting in warmer places in the winter.

:favorites13:

OP
OP
M

mowin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 hemi
I'm in Oregon and the whole winterizing thing is always a tough one. For one I will sometimes use my RV over the winter so I hate to have it totally torn down. And it doesn't really get that cold that often here so I'm always on the fence about doing the full blown winterizing. When it dips below freezing I'll often just put a couple oil radiant heaters inside it to keep the temperature above 50.

I have a pretty slick setup with my RV right outside my kitchen window. One of the RV windows lines up perfectly so I just set a cheap-o dial type thermometer on the RV counter and I can see it from my house kitchen.

When I do the full winterize thing I use an air compressor to city water (on the RV) adapter and it works great. Just turn up the pressure to 40psi and open all the valves one at a time. Pour some anti-freeze down the drains and I'm all good. Oh yeah, have to deal with the water heater too.

As someone who dreams of spending MUCH more time in my RV as I age and work less, I'm hoping to completely forget how to winterize. My RV will be sitting in warmer places in the winter.

:favorites13:

I winterize the same way. Used to pump antifreeze through the entire system. But so much easier with air.

Wife has 9yrs to retirement. I'm a self employed lawn care property management owner, so I can retire anytime, lol.

We're both looking forward to becoming snowbirds.

deerhunt799

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I pump antifreeze through the system. I can do my 31ft class c with 1.5 gallons. We camp through the winter as well so I probably winterize/dewinterize 5 times a year.

CDN Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
6.7L CTD
I use both the air and anti freeze methods. First blow it all out with air than antifreeze the whole system. Over kill I know but every time I use just the air when I do the antifreeze afterwards I get a couple of gallons of water prior to any antifreeze, so I guess I just don't trust the air method.

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
I am into about $500 for the freezing damage. The kitchen sink got it the worst. It actually blew the faucet apart- found the neck on the backend of the bunk which is 12 feet from the sink. The damage from the grid roads is costing me a bit more, but it's a chance to freshen some things up. You know how it goes. Once you start a project and tear into things you always think "might as well fix/replace/upgrade while I am in there".

Hopefully by spring I will have full LED lighting, all new fixtures and a built in dishwasher, rid of the AC and replace with a skylight and a new awning and exterior lighting. Also looking at a battery upgrade and add some LP fittings to the outside to quick-connect our little grill and various other LP appliances we have.

Wow, not fun, I know that you will have it back together about time next summer come.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins

Padilen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I use both the air and anti freeze methods. First blow it all out with air than antifreeze the whole system. Over kill I know but every time I use just the air when I do the antifreeze afterwards I get a couple of gallons of water prior to any antifreeze, so I guess I just don't trust the air method.

I prefer this method to. Back when I winterized my mobile home. I had water line drains in low spots. Drained hot water heater. Opened low drains, pumped air, closed drains filled whole house filter holder with antifreeze pumped air repeat until all faucets showed pink. I currently winterize my neighbor's mobile takes over 2 hours. Hot water heater never wants to drain, washing machine is all electronic and hard to get anti freeze in. And the outside faucet takes high pressure to drain. Then I have no means of adding antifreeze to lines, just drains !
My CTC only has short water lines. And I have a low spot drain. I can pump anti freeze and use air. My only issue - water tank drain will not flow water! My pump leaves about 1/2" of water in tank. But it's stored in my heated pole barn. And I'll get that fixed this winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk