YIKES !!!! Trailer near disaster

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hounddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 laramie 2500 credit cab 4x4 cummins
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Tonight I hauled my boat and trailer about 110 miles. In the last 15 miles I noticed something making an odd noise. Pulled over and found one of the wheels had blown a bearing seal and figured since I was so close, and it is a tandem axle, I would just limp her home at 25-35mph. :nono:

Got home and found I nearly escaped disaster with the wheel being able to be shifted about 1/2" to 1" in every direction. LOL

Looks like the bearing buddy has also dislodged itself, which would explain why I had to force-drag it into my neighborhood at 3/4 throttle.

I hope I do not have to rebuild the entire damn thing instead of just finding a safe place and R&R the bearings. Stupid, stupid, stupid. :suicide:

OP
OP
hounddog

hounddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Ugh.

Finally had a little time to take it apart and look it over. Burned up the bottom of the spindle pretty badly.

Not sure how I am going to fix this one without an entirely new axle unless Eagle Trailer sells spindles seperate from axles.

OutlawTrucker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
If boat trailers are anything like semi trailers you can get a new spindle welded on.

OP
OP
hounddog

hounddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
If boat trailers are anything like semi trailers you can get a new spindle welded on.

Apparently they are not.

I spoke with "Les" at Eagle Boat Trailers, and he was supremely helpful.
They will not sell just spindles, and, my trailer is now obsolete which means the parts can only be ordered as an axle.

He was able to put me in contact with Axis Products in Elkhart, Ind. (heart of the RV world) and "Ross" there was equally helpful.

Between the two I was able to get the obsolete build numbers, the proper measurements and the proper built onto the axle race stop. (which is also obsolete and has to be fabricated.) It also appears that the trailer is a standard boat trailer with custom axles required by my boat builder. Axis told me that they will save this information with my name on it for future issues.

$113 + tax and it will be ready in five business days, and I can pick up at the factory next time I am down that way. I just hope the product is accurate as this has all been WAY too easy for it to continue to be this easy. LOL
Oh, if I had bought the axle from Eagle their listed price for this axle is $1,020+ tax.

Last edited: