06 ram 1500 2 trailer options for going car

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fastgti

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7. hemi
As it says I have a 06 ram quad cab short bed with a 5.7 hemi. I will be going to Colorado in the next 2 weeks and bringing back to Augusta ga my 65 ford galaxie 500xl convertible. The car weighs 4,000 lbs. I have 2 choices for trailers. First is an enclosed 8.5x20 ft with 2 3500 lbs axles with trailer brakes weights about 3200-3300 lbs. Or I can get an open trailer same axles but 7x18 ft weights about 1500 lbs. not sure on the trailer brakes. I plan on getting a brake controller and tow mirrors but not too sure if I should opt in for the $4000 trailer that a $1800 trailer will do the same thing. Need your inputs here on this one. I have the stock 20 inch wheels on with a febtech 4 inch lift.

Any and all suggestions will be helpful

Jeff

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Unless you have a need to store you car in the trailer, I would choose the lighter option. Will put less strain on the truck, especially for long distance hauling.
As for the lift, just make sure to get yourself the proper height ball mount for your application as to not overburden the hitch or have the trailer at a rearward angle.

The straighter the rig from the front of the truck to the tail of the trailer, the smoother and safer your overall trip will be and the least strain you will put on your truck towing the whole thing.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my TouchPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
fastgti

fastgti

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7. hemi
Unless you have a need to store you car in the trailer, I would choosenthe lighter option. Will put less strain on the truck, especially for long distance hauling.
As for the lift, just make sure to get yourself the proper height ball mount for your application as to not over burden the hitch or have trailer at a rearward angle.

The straighter the rig from the front ofnthe truck to the tail ofnthe trailer, the smoother and safer your overall trip will be and the least strain you will put on your trcuk towing the whole thing.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my TouchPad using Tapatalk
It helped. My dad and I desided about 20 minutes ago that's what we're going to do. Thank you.