2007 Ram 1500 Hemi towing upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

curtiskline

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought a 2007 Ram 1500 2wd truck last year. It has the Hemi, 545RFE trans, 3.92 gears, and the "Trailer Tow Group" according to the online build sheet. It has 95k miles on it and runs great. I towed a 4,500 lb 18-ft travel trailer 1,800 miles from Nevada to Oklahoma shortly after buying it, and things went OK. I did not use a weight-distribution hitch. I think this truck is fine for hauling a fairly light trailer like mine, and I don't plan to haul anything heavier.

I have a few complaints I could use some advice on:

- Front-end jounce. When going through road dips at 60-70 mph, the front end bounces, sometimes badly. Maybe I need better shocks?

- Rear-end sag. Probably related to poor weight distribution in my trailer. I am considering an air bag system, or maybe I just need to load my trailer smarter. Or use a weight-distributing hitch?

- Lack of power on steep grades. In the mountains, I was down to 40-45 mph on the long grades. Anything I can do with this engine to improve this a bit?

- Poor range. With the 26 gallon tank and getting around 9-10 mpg, fuel stops are frequent.

- Terrible mirrors. I can't see the back of the trailer. Can I swap in towing mirrors from another model? Where should I look for these?

Thanks in advance for any advice!!

Curtis

Attachments

• DSC_1471 copy.jpg
    DSC_1471 copy.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 20

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
You would be best served with using a weight distribution hitch, and installing 4.56 gears in the differential, which will improve your pulling power, and your towing fuel mileage. Good luck with your project.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
1. New shocks will definitely help. Inspect the front bushings as well.

2. A WDH is a great idea.

3. Intake, exhaust & a programmer. Also consider a custom tune. A package is available through Moe's Performance, one of our supporting vendors here.

4. Some mileage improvement will come your way with #3 mods shown above. However, that mileage is pretty typical when towing with a 5.7L HEMI.

5. Towing mirrors will help a lot. You can fit power towing mirrors to your truck. The best price on them will probably be at 1A Auto or Rock Auto.

kirbys1234

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My truck is almost the same as yours, same year, engine, trans and gearing, except it is 4x4 ( a must in Canada). Mine needed shocks and brakes, and it tows pretty good. I always use a WDH. My camper is 16', and about 3700 lbs. I get about the same mileage. I am planning to do the exhaust this summer. These trucks have a very restrictive Y pipe before the muffler.

kirbys1234

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I also got cheap factory like tow mirrors from eBay. Not as good as stock, but almost, and a LOT cheaper, and they are heated too!!!

Black06ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I have a 2006 ram with the hemi and only 2 wheel drive. also have done intake and exhaust mods along with a Diablo tuner and hemifever custom tuning. stock suspension, but bolted in a Curt level 3 hitch. might weld it in soon. 55,000 miles on the truck etire truck and powertrain.

in the next few years I have intentions on buying back my late uncles 1975 pro street camaro race/showcar and will need an enclosed trailer for it eventually. it probably weights 3,000-3,400 pounds, and I am not sure what a full enclosed dual axle traler weighs, but would this setup be too overwhelming for my 2wd 2006 ram to pull??

the mods I would plan on doing just to haul this setup would be a brake controller, weight distributing hitch, and towing mirrors. anything else ??