2008 Mega Cab Heavy Duty Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MegaCabbin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 Heavy Duty Mega Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So my wife and I are looking at getting a 5th wheel. I have a 2008 Mega Cab SXT with the Heavy Duty Package and 3.73's in the rear. The 5er we are looking at is 10,500 dry with 1800lb cargo capacity, so a little over 12,000. I can't find a definitive answer when it comes to towing capacity of this truck. I can't find the SXT model listed, nor can I find it with the "Heavy Duty" package in any towing charts. The truck has labeling for both. Any help?

OP
OP
M

MegaCabbin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 Heavy Duty Mega Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Link

This is a great link, I use it often. Unfortunately it does not have the heavy duty option listed.

Rokmonanoff

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Mega Cab
Engine
5.7 HEMI
tow capacity

mine is 7,400. I think you are gonna be pushing it without airbags or some other additional support.

Rok

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
All listed 4x4 megacab 1500 models with 3.73 gearing listed in this dodge publication have a GVWR of 8,510lbs and GCWR of 14k lbs (page 9, megacab 2500 models start on page 18 and have very similar numbers)
http://www.dodge.com/bodybuilder/2008/docs/dr/mlup.pdf
I don't believe the heavy duty package you are refering to is anything significant from other megacabs but all megacabs vs. other 1500 models
Either way that trailer is on the upper end of the scales even for my diesel 2500. Check the edge of your drivers door (maybe on the drivers door pillar) for a tag that should tell you GVWR and GCWR. That's where highway patrol looks when they pull you over with a trailer they suspect is overweight.

Last edited:

Trenton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
did you find any answers for your situation? I have a 06 mega cab 1500 the heavy duty your talking about is nothing more than a marketing ploy by some dealers. all mega cabs have the 2500 powertrain the 1500 had a lighter rear spring pack but not by much. as for what you can tow I legally can tow 12000.00 pounds as that is what I am insured and registered for. most states have the same program we have here the problem would be if I was under warrenty and they checked my registration and saw I pay extra to tow more they may not cover motor trans or diff failure. If your worried about safely towing your truck will handle 12000 pounds no problem just make sure your tires are E rated not P or LT rated tires and your trailer brakes are in good working order. If you dont want to be spot checked put on 3500 badges door stickers on your truck and they will never know the differance.