Draw-Tite Activator Brake Controller Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nickmacgregor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Purchase an activator 5100 trailer brake controller for my 2006 Ram 1500 SWB.. should this be plug and play or is there more wiring involved? If so, does anybody have a step by step on the wiring.

Thanks

89gtcs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
it depends. Do you have factory 4-pin or 7-pin harness already?

Trenton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
its plug and play if you have the blue empty female plug up by the emergency brake against the fire wall

KansasBob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Only Plug and play if you have the Trailer Tow Option, and not just the factory flat 4 connector.
There is a plug for the brake controller under the dash either way, so you have your hot feed to your brake controller, and the needed brake lite signal, but if all you have is the flat 4 connector, the brake signal wire and hot wire dead end in a multi pin connector behind the front wheel well. You have to tap into the wire and install wiring to the back of the truck yourself. I think there is a factory "kit" for like $80, but I just ran my own wires.