Electric Brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KNG SNKE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
With the crazy pricing of Uhual auto transport rentals I think I am going to pick one up. I have an 03 Ram 5.7 QC and I am looking for a trailer brake setup. I have a multi pin connecter in the back of the truck. Any recommendations? Is there an OEM setup that mounts in the dash?

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
Which connector do you have?? The 4 pin, 5 pin, 6 pin or the 7 pin?? Now if you have the 7 pin connector then you need to look under the dash above the parking brake for a blue or grey connector mounted just above the wire box above the brake pedal. Here is link to a picture of where too look: Electric Brake Controller Installation on Dodge Ram Truck | etrailer.com

The article does not really do the position justice. Mopar offers a dealer installed trailer brake harness that is not that hard to install, but it does not come with the connector for inside the truck cab. Hopefully this helped out.

Ocelot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you already have the 7 pin connector on the back of your truck, a Prodigy P2 or P3 is plug-n-play with the adapter harness. The Prodigy controllers are the most popular and most recommended on the RV forums. Even over the OEM ones.

This link shows a controller and adapter. You should have a plug under the dash above the pedals.
Dodge Ram Pickup Brake Controller - 2003 | etrailer.com

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
This is the unit I use: Hopkins Brake Controller for Dodge Ram Pickup 2007 - HM47297

Found it at a local autoparts store and thought "OOO that would be nice." Mounted the controls just under the radio and the led load indicator on the steering column where I can see it plainly. Seeing as I have the dealer option tow package I had an RV dealer install the unit properly for me.

drmplyr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
You could lose your trailer breaks while towing!!

Just so you will know, just got finished talking with the dealership and called Dodge (800) 992-1997 in disbelief about my 7-way connector on my 2012 Dodge. It seems that the 2 trailers I own are incompatible with the new 2012. They worked fine on my 2003 Dodge but not on the new one. My travel trailer is a 2012 model. It seems that plugs that have recessed contacts will not work on the newer trucks. Mine are recessed about 1/10th of an inch. Please be advised that you will lose your trailer breaks momentarily with these connectors and I have been advised by Dodge to have my trailer connectors replaced on both trailers at my expense. My neighbor has a new Ford and does not have this problem. His trailer will not work with my plug but works fine with his. I pulled ~7000 miles with this problem thinking I was not getting it plugged in good…taped it in, tie wrapped it, etc. to no avail. You may want to check this on your truck if it is a newer model. You would think Dodge would have notified owners of this problem instead of let us tow with the chance that we may lose our brakes. Towing in traffic or in mountains/hills can be quite a thrill! Please help get the word out before someone gets hurt.

birdman05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7, s&b cai, Diablo intune 89 octane tune
i ahve heard the pilot brand ones are amazing taht is what i have in my truck jsut depends waht you need to and how much you want to spend

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963