Few question from a newbie

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Archfiend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7 magnum
My wife and I are moving next year, so we're starting to look at a bigger truck so we can haul our car and household goods and can split driving in one vehicle. My best guess for total weight including trailer(without the weight of a new truck) would probably be close 6-8k lbs. What all would a 3rd gen ram 2500 need to haul that much weight safely? I've done a little bit of searching on google but there's so many different sources saying different things that I figured I would asked experienced Ram drivers. Basically any information on this would be greatly helpful.

OP
OP
A

Archfiend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7 magnum
I don't really want another monthly car payment. I was hoping to buy something used that could row that much weight. Is there no way to make a ten year old truck pull that mc much weight safely?

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't really want another monthly car payment. I was hoping to buy something used that could row that much weight. Is there no way to make a ten year old truck pull that mc much weight safely?

A 2500 will pull that fine even if it's a hemi. Hell depending on gearing a 1500 hemi can tow over 9k. Either way you go the hemi will do it but if you can find a cummins it will do it easier.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Archfiend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7 magnum
A 2500 will pull that fine even if it's a hemi. Hell depending on gearing a 1500 hemi can tow over 9k. Either way you go the hemi will do it but if you can find a cummins it will do it easier.

Will it pull it with the factory hitch receiver or would I need something different.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm not sure of the factory hitch rating but I would guess it would be close to the tow rating of the truck. Not 100% though

OP
OP
A

Archfiend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7 magnum
Alright well thanks for the info. Hopefully the factory hitch will be rated for enough weight.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
The factory hitch will handle it. This is my solution to towing.

pqo1PK.jpg