Gen 3 Hemi Ram right for tow vehicle?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TravAz

Reaction score
Ram Year
None yet
Engine
none yet
I know, I know, get a diesel.

I tow a 25 foot boat that weighs 7400lbs on the trailer (weighed it today) I could get it up to 8k if I really wanted too with all tanks full. When I tow its through the steep grades of AZ and CA (i.e the torture fest going up jacumba on the way to san diego in 120* heat). Will typically have maybe 650 pounds of people/gear in the tow vehicle.

Im pretty sure I am going to try a gen 3 ram as a dedicated tow vehicle. I am wondering if the hemi has the stones to pull 11 miles of 7% grades with the CC on at 60mph?

If it doesn't would full bolt ons + tune get it there? Dont wanna get into the motor or go forced unless I have to. I also don't want to stretch price wise for a gen 4 unless it would make a massive difference for some reason. for the extra $$ I think I would rather go forced or cam/heads/whatever.

Problem here is we don't tow THAT much - and I am cheap. I cant bring myself to spend 20k on a clapped out 97 cummins, much less 100k on a new diesel truck or whatever they think those are worth now (no offense to those who can!!) just to tow the boat 25 times over a summer or whatever.

Thoughts?

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
I think it may be fine. But If you do go the Hemi route there are a few things you will want to do. First upgrade the cooling system. New larger radiator with better fans. If it is an automatic make sure to get the largest oil radiator you can for that part too. Other things to do may be replace the ring and pinion to a more friendly towing version if the one you want does not have it already. There are a lot more things you could do but the big thing is the cooling of the engine and tranny. Others will chime in too so maybe we can get you some good info.

SublimeRT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'd maybe look into a Hemi in a 2500. If you go up these grades you talk about you'll eventually have to come back down them right? 2500s have more brakes, and I believe they have upgraded cooling over 1500s. I don't do a lot of towing so I'm no expert, but IMO that's asking a lot from a Hemi 1500.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
I'd maybe look into a Hemi in a 2500. If you go up these grades you talk about you'll eventually have to come back down them right? 2500s have more brakes, and I believe they have upgraded cooling over 1500s. I don't do a lot of towing so I'm no expert, but IMO that's asking a lot from a Hemi 1500.

The actual difference between a 1500 and a 2500 is small especially when they both have the Hemi. The few differences are an upgraded heavy duty transmission, and a heavy duty frame. Brakes are easy to upgrade also. He could go the route I went and get these:
Power Stop 1-Click Heavy Duty Truck and Tow Brake Kit | PowerStop Truck & SUV Brake Kit, V8&submodel3=Regular Cab (Full 2 Doors)

The above link takes you to where I got my new set and from a bit of research I did the kit is the same one that they sell for the 2500.

rjkfsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
To the OP, NO! these hemis are crap for pulling!

Ok so the other day I pulled my 16' enclosed trailer weighing just 2100# for the first time with the hemi. Now this is the first gas power truck I've owned since '98. The first thing I noticed is what a complete dog this thing is hooked, unhooked it runs great. I expected to know I was pulling but I didn't expect to see 4500 rpm for miles on end at 70 mph on the flat. If I slowed just a bit it would upshift then lose speed until I gave it enough gas to down shift and slowly creep back up to 70 mph. I tried with the tow/haul mode off and found no difference. Now my concern is it's not even enough to pull the lawn mower trailer around.

The truck is in excellent condition and had led a pampered life prior to my purchase of it as an extra vehicle with only 148,000 miles and running full synthetics. It is a two wheel drive four door rather than a 4x4 so I would expect that would make less work to tow. At this point I'm thinking an old beat up Toyota with a stick and 4banger may be better suited to my needs. (I got passed by one pulling an '80s station wagon loaded full of junk on a dolly with the bed full of scrap.)

To be honest if it didn't look exactly like my diesel and hadn't been so cheap ($3800) I never would have bought it. Kinda weird having no power and a clean painted undented bed after living with a truck for so long. Thankfully the Cummins has never failed in over 260,000 miles and it will pull a trailer out from under whatever is in it, even light the tires at 40 mph with 10,000# hooked.

Anyhow I've clean reliable personal transportation and nothing more I suppose till I can unload this garbage.

Your motor must be worn out or something, Billy. What you are experiencing is not typical. I have pulled 5,000 pounds up and down some of the steepest grades in the country. I have even done Edison Pass in Arizona - 11 miles of 5-7% grades peaking at over 11,000 feet - and my Hemi did fine. Did the truck have to downshift? Yes. Could I keep the cruise on? No, but on level ground pulling my car, the engine does 1,800 rpm at 65mph and I get 16+mpg doing it.

RK

Sparkyy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
To the OP, NO! these hemis are crap for pulling!

Ok so the other day I pulled my 16' enclosed trailer weighing just 2100# for the first time with the hemi. Now this is the first gas power truck I've owned since '98. The first thing I noticed is what a complete dog this thing is hooked, unhooked it runs great. I expected to know I was pulling but I didn't expect to see 4500 rpm for miles on end at 70 mph on the flat. If I slowed just a bit it would upshift then lose speed until I gave it enough gas to down shift and slowly creep back up to 70 mph. I tried with the tow/haul mode off and found no difference. Now my concern is it's not even enough to pull the lawn mower trailer around.

The truck is in excellent condition and had led a pampered life prior to my purchase of it as an extra vehicle with only 148,000 miles and running full synthetics. It is a two wheel drive four door rather than a 4x4 so I would expect that would make less work to tow. At this point I'm thinking an old beat up Toyota with a stick and 4banger may be better suited to my needs. (I got passed by one pulling an '80s station wagon loaded full of junk on a dolly with the bed full of scrap.)

To be honest if it didn't look exactly like my diesel and hadn't been so cheap ($3800) I never would have bought it. Kinda weird having no power and a clean painted undented bed after living with a truck for so long. Thankfully the Cummins has never failed in over 260,000 miles and it will pull a trailer out from under whatever is in it, even light the tires at 40 mph with 10,000# hooked.

Anyhow I've clean reliable personal transportation and nothing more I suppose till I can unload this garbage.

Your motor must be worn out or something, Billy. What you are experiencing is not typical. I have pulled 5,000 pounds up and down some of the steepest grades in the country. I have even done Edison Pass in Arizona - 11 miles of 5-7% grades peaking at over 11,000 feet - and my Hemi did fine. Did the truck have to downshift? Yes. Could I keep the cruise on? No, but on level ground pulling my car, the engine does 1,800 rpm at 65mph and I get 16+mpg doing it.

RK

I was gonna say the same thing, I've had a queen sized bed, boxspring and frame in the truck bed and then a loaded U-Haul trailer attached to the truck. I was able to drive around CT and up some descent hills with zero problems.

Even tonight, just had a motorcycle probably around 650lbs in the bed of my truck. Zero issues with my engine, idled the same and didn't even notice the different in weight.

Hemi engines are beasts at towing and can tow a lot more than their weight limit suggests.

Back to OP question though, if it is occasionally, I would agree on beefing up the cooling for transmission with a 1 ton cooler to prolong the life of your tranny.
I would also say to check the weight as well since that sounds about the max weight limit of towing for a 1500 truck. Only reason to go with a 2500 is it can carry more weight.
And of course brakes are very much needed, don't want to use the run-away truck ramp cause your brakes cannot stop the truck and boat.

Last edited: