Hitch wiring question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hakhazar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On the wiring harness that plugs into the back of the trailer hitch connector, which wire goes to the center (backup lights) pin? The connector has 8 wires going to it (8? for a 7-pin connector? Two ground wires, maybe?), with two blank spots (actually plugged spots) on the left as you look at it with the lock on the top.
Most all of the wiring pictures I've seen say the purple wire is the backup lights, but there isn't a purple wire!

Thanks!
Hakhazar

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
If you have back up trailer lights I believe they run off the center/auxillary pin (orange). Not sure about the extra wire, maybe post a pic?

OP
OP
H

Hakhazar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm sure it runs from the center pin of the external connector, I was trying to figure out which wire fed to it from the wiring harness. Orange, you say - I don't actually remember there being an orange wire, but I'll go out and check.
Thanks!

If you have back up trailer lights I believe they run off the center/auxillary pin (orange). Not sure about the extra wire, maybe post a pic?

OP
OP
H

Hakhazar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OK, no orange wire. In order:
1) Gray?
2) Red/something else striped
3) White with green stripe
4) Green
5) blank
6) Yellow
7) Black
8) Black
9) Blue-green

If I could get the connector off the back of the plug it would be easy to tell with a meter, but even after sliding the red lock over it won't come off.

Pics: http://imgur.com/893M0fZ,WOL7Q1q#0

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
Here, maybe this will be more helpful lol. I was able to get my connector off and take a pic of how the pins are numbered coming from the harness.

IMG_20140921_152659809.jpg

Top: 2-3-4-5
Bottom:7-8-9-10

My harness looks the same as yours.

OP
OP
H

Hakhazar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here, maybe this will be more helpful lol. I was able to get my connector off and take a pic of how the pins are numbered coming from the harness.

View attachment 36918

Top: 2-3-4-5
Bottom:7-8-9-10

My harness looks the same as yours.

How did you get the connector off? Mine feels like it's glued in place.

I don't think I'm explaining my question clearly. Do you know which of those numbers (2-5,7-10) correspond to the center pin in the connector?

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
If you press down on the top of the connector near where the red tab came out you can pull it off with the help of a flat blade screwdriver.

I don't know which wire it is but I thought maybe if you google or call the dealership they can tell you which number pin corresponds to the center pin on the 7 way connector.