I need Hitch help I have a few ? about drop,class and ball size

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joe.G

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 SLT Quad Cab Short Bed
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi, I was curious what the most common/ do it all drop would be on a hitch I am looking to buy a new one and only want to carry one in the truck.

Also what are the most common ball sizes these days?

And what is the most common class rating?

Now I know this all depends on what you would be hauling, Which for me would be mostly 2 place up to 5 place Snowmobile trailer, Small horse trailer and a reg size landscape type trailer.

The reason I ask about common size is if I was out somewhere and needed to move something that was not mine.

Thanks

crash_eco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
i have an adjustable one, it goes from about 5" raise to 5"drop. you are going to run into three common sizes depending on the trailer, small utility trailers are usually 1 7/8", my buddies 2 horse trailer and another buddies boat are both 2", my TT is 2 5/16
"..

for towing the horse trailer and TT we use a weight distribution hitch. so you may have to have mutiple hitches. I only have two. when i tow my buddies boat, i just take the draw bar out of his truck because i usually have the 1 7/8 in my truck.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
A Class III receiver was normally installed on your truck.

2" receiver tube, 1-7/8" ball, 600 # tongue weight capacity.

The "do it all drop" ball for your truck would vary depending on the height of the trailer relative to your truck. I have an adjustable unit I got from etrailer that allows me to raise or lower the height of the ball relative to the trailer's height.

80414_1000.jpg

If you don't have a hitch on the truck now then I'd suggest a Class IV for the additional tongue weight up to 1000 pounds.

OP
OP
J

Joe.G

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 SLT Quad Cab Short Bed
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How much did that hitch run you?

crash_eco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
the one i have is a reese one, similar to that. it cost me about $60 cdn.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
It's listed at $60 USD + shipping.