Leaf springs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Labman2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello, Its my first time posting here, and I really hope someone can help me. With me with my question. Here goes, I purchased my 2004 dodge Ram 1500 single cab shortbed with a 4.7L about a year ago and so far it has been a real good truck. I have never really had to pull anything much with it or haul any big loads, although when i have had to haul something It always seemed to show the load more than i thought it should be dropped in the rear. And when not loaded it sits level to maybe slightly down in rear.
I recently bought a camper, which I know is too much for this truck itprobably 7-800 pounds tounge wt. but when hooked it to my truck without even putting all the wt. down on it. It sunk it down to the rubber stops on the axle..I really dont think it should be that weak.
Now here is where my question comes in. When i looked at the leaf springs without a load on them they are basically flat. And there are only 3 leafs per side..long top one hooked to mounts, one shorter under it. And a much shorter one under it that which to me looks upside down because its ends are def. curved to the ground.. So basically the load only supported by two basically near flat leafs.. Is this correct? Or is something not right here? Has someone fooled with it? And how should it be?
Sorry so long.. I just diddnt want to miss anything. Thanks

ybnormal70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You should have 4 leaf springs total on each side. Sounds like you are missing one of the 2 middle springs. The overload does point down like you described.

L8r,

Kevin

emjohn4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Regular cab, short bed truck?

Wonder if the overload spring was removed to "lower" / level the truck by the previous owner. It happens.

If you go for replacements, stay the heck away from SD Truck Springs. I am still dealing with their crappy product that failed in three months (all the while they "claim" their products can't fail).

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Install some firestone ride-rite airbag helper springs. I think my set were around $250. The bags install between the leaf springs and the frame. Then air lines are routed to where ever you desire, with shrader valves to pump up the bags. The capacity of those bags are insane. I could load up a 1000lb tongue wight trailer with 500lbs of gear in the bed and easily fill up the bags. The truck will literally sit like it does unloaded.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
I agree with that someone removed ne of the springs which is the wrong way to level a truck. Either get a set of good quality new springs, of get a good set of goodyear helper air springs.

These are replacements :

2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Leaf Springs - Replacement leaf springs for cars, trucks, suvs, vans, motorhomes and trailers. - TruckSpring.com

These guys offer 3 different load rated sets:
2004 DODGE RAM 1500 PICKUP Leaf Spring

These guys are who I bought my helper springs from:
Truck Suspension, Bilstein Shocks, Firestone Air Bags, Timbren, Leaf Springs - TruckSpring.com

What you get will be all up too your budget. But at the least I recommend replacing the springpack with a new one to get back what was lost due to someone doing a hack job at leveling your truck.

aheeejd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
Regular cab, short bed truck?

Wonder if the overload spring was removed to "lower" / level the truck by the previous owner. It happens.

If you go for replacements, stay the heck away from SD Truck Springs. I am still dealing with their crappy product that failed in three months (all the while they "claim" their products can't fail).

I know this thread is old but I have broken leaf & I was looking at SD truck springs & I'm glad I came across your post. So the other guy in this thread (above this post) gave a few links (thank you) & I'm gonna go with that Michigan trucks. I hope I have good luck with them. I wanted to get the heavier duty leafs but just can't afford it at this time. So I'll get the $115 leafs & I haul my own firewood so after the new leafs I think I'll look into the Timbren system to help. I think that'll be sufficient.

Sent from my LG-ls990 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2