programmer for my 2007 TRX for hauling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dkm316

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2007 crew cab TRX. I am trying to decide what the best programmer will be for pulling heavy loads. The loads will be between 5,000lbs to 10,000lbs. I understand that much weight is over the RECOMMENDED towing capacity . It is a strong truck , it has the 5.7 in it. I have pulled close to 7,500lbs, and it was just a Lil sluggish. Which is understandable . I'm just looking for a programmer that will give me better pulling power. Thanks.

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Don't believe anyone will recommend anything to haul over the max towing capacity.

You could probably get away with it for a very short haul but you will incur dammages, which is why you should think of getting a 3500 if you want/need to haul heavier loads.

The issue goes far beyond straight engine power. EGT will rise, transmission fluid, Differential fluids may overheat and degrade enough so that the diffs could actually shatter. And I am not even getting on the topic of braking, even though heavier trailers have assisted braking capacity...

So going over the rated vehicle towing capacity is not a simple matter of engine capacity. It is a safety issue, both for you and others on the road.

OP
OP
D

dkm316

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yea that's what I'm trying not to do. I absolutely love my truck and don't really want to get another. I do understand what your saying completely! I was just trying to see if there is a programmer that would change the shift points etc.. I just might have to bite the bullet and get a 1 ton. Sad thing is I have always been a Chevy person until I bought this dodge!! So with that said ( I'll be buying a dodge 1 ton) I love to power and torque in my half ton. Just need more hauling capabilities.