A question regarding engine temp. when towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Black1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys,

I recently bought a boat and on the way back from the ramp I noticed that the engine temp. was getting a little hotter than usual, the needle rose all the way to the middle of the gauge. Apologies for not having an actual number but it's the best I can do from work. I have very limited experience with trucks and even less with towing so I came here for some opinions. I checked all the fluids and they all seem fine.

I have an '05 QuadCad with the Hemi and the 3.92 gears and 113,000 miles on the clock. The boat and the trailer with gas and everything weighs somewhere in the ballpark of 6000 lbs, which from what I've read is not the max. that the truck can handle (I might be wrong).

It was about 92 F that day in the middle of day in Miami so it gets pretty hot out here during the summer.

So my question is, is this behavior normal or should I be worried?

Thanks guys.

WulfGang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think you're safe...

Trenton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
should be fine sounds like you may be running cold most of the time if your worried find a bottle or two of watter wetter red line is a good brand it helps heat exchange but as long as your in the safe area not the red your ok also I see miami is where you were do you still run 50/50 antifreeze if you have just water it boils to quick. Also you can run waterless coolant its the newest thing expensive but never need to be changed again and won't boil over.

OP
OP
B

Black1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the replies guys, it's all good then.

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
If you are towing, think about getting a transmission temp gauge. The transmission is probably as (if not more) critical as the engine and should be closely monitored especially when towing in warmer areas such as yours.

As WulfGang mentionned Waterless Coolant is becoming more and more prevalent. The one I know about is Evan's.

For the Tranny Temp gauge, I am unsure as to if the '06 have a built-in temp sensor on the tranny but it can be added through some of the side ports available on the 545rfe your truck is equipped with. If the '06 have a sending unit, you could simply use a Bluetooth OBDII adapter and get an app on a smart phone that would allow you to monitor the readout.

Hope this helps

WulfGang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
xb1230

Trenton actually mentioned the waterless coolant.

I bought my DS T1000 specifically for towing.
It's nice to have all the temps and stuff clustered on the unit.
I was able to monitor my trans temp and eng temp and two other things I can't recall atm.

89gtcs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
06's do have a stock temp gauge - you can get a bluetooth OBDII gauge on ebay for less than $10 and read it with your phone