Ram towing question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lori Meyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Hi All:

We have a like-new 2003 Ram 1500 5.7L V8 Hemi Magnum 4x2, 3.55 axle and new 20" tires with factory tow package. We'll have a weight distribution hitch and a brake controller on it.

We are looking to tow a Keystone Cougar 30RKSWE TT, 6,625 lbs dry with a 670 lb. hitch cross-country.

Has anyone had experience with a similar set up? I just want to make sure it's a good match and would appreciate your feedback.

smykowski

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 SLT
Engine
6.7L Cummins
weight distribution hitch will certainly help, the 3.55's will not help with towing, 3.92's or higher are preferred. I used to tow a 7000lbs boat+trailer with my 05 hemi, even with the 3.92's, my truck did NOT like any type of incline, no matter how steep. Will it make it? Probably, but I would expect to see your mileage drop significantly.

WulfGang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2006 Big Horn HEMI with the 3.92's.

I gotta tell ya... I wouldn't want to tow my camper we just bought - 6,900# - across country. We got the PRO Hitch WDH also with a hitch weight of 800(ish)#.

We towed it 40mi home and while not unbearable... nor a complete slug up hills, there was a couple of times we bounded/rebounded 2-3 times when hitting raised areas in the road.

Take off was easy. Getting up to 60mph was quick also. And it didn't feel like the truck/engine struggled.

Hills would take me down. Never dropped below 45mph though. Even on hills that I know (because I've driven them in a semi running right at 80K#) would bog most big trucks down I was able to maintain 50mph.

Not sure what the HP rating is in your HEMI but I agree about the 3.55 gears like smykoski said.

I also agree that yeah, it could probably do it. I wouldn't though.

Good news is you could approach it like I am;

Diablo Sport Tuner, VARARAM Cold Air Intake, Aftermarket Exhaust (Flowmaster, etc), and right now, I'm trying to decide between Hellwig leaf springs (+2,500#) or "Load Lifter Ultimate 5000" air bags (+5,000#).

These two have pro's & cons.
Installation of the helper springs will be easier. They will not carry as much extra weight as the bags but I think you'd be over your GAWR maxing out the bags anyways.

The springs also help left/right sway also, if I understand correctly.
The bags, do not.
The springs have been said to add 1" ridge height (to an already raised rear) of the truck.
The bags are more easily adjustable for ride height and being able to manually distribute the weight share between the bags and the stock springs on the truck.

Then, an area that I've read about but know nothing about, is swapping out the stock cam.

Searay245se

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon Laramie
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Sway control would be nice to have also for such a trip.

WulfGang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Guys, we're probably urinating in the jet stream on this topic.

I answered after the OP and there has been nothing since.

Just, pointing that out :)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963